This 30 Minute Chicken Piccata makes a quick and easy weeknight dinner, but it’s also elegant enough for a dinner party at home. The lemon, garlic, butter sauce will have you licking your plate every time!
Chicken Piccata is a traditional Italian dish. Piccata translates to piquant or piquancy, which means tart or zesty. This dish does have a tart sauce made from lemon, white wine and capers. Also, because the chicken cutlets are pounded thin, it’s a dish that can be prepared quickly, in 30 minutes or less – Who doesn’t love that?!
The ingredients are simple – nothing fancy here. The separate components to this dish really shine through. The capers are bright and salty, the lemon is tart and the butter rounds everything out with a nice creaminess. The chicken is pounded thin using a meat mallet. Don’t be intimidated here. Just place your chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten the breasts out to about 1/4 inch. Pour your flour into a dish and dredge each breast, making sure to shake off the excess flour. These thin, floured cutlets brown up so nicely and the flour helps to thicken the sauce.
Be sure not to overcook your garlic or it can become bitter. It helps to make sure that the heat is on medium before adding the garlic to the pan and don’t let the slices cook for any longer than the 30 seconds called for. Serve this with a brown or white rice, or a rice pilaf. This broccoli goes amazing with the flavors in this dish as does this zesty arugula salad.
30 Minute Chicken Piccata
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut half horizontally and pounded to 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp . olive oil
- 3 tbsp . unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 3 tbsp . fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp . capers drained
- 2 tbsp . minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken in it. Shake off the excess.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Place 2 pieces of chicken in the pan and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm under a tent of foil. Warm the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in the pan and repeat to brown the remaining chicken. Place that chicken under your foil tent as well.
Reduce the heat to medium and melt 1 Tbs. of the butter in the pan. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Add the wine, lemon juice and broth, increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the remaining 2 Tbs. butter, the capers and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
Wine Pairings for 30 Minute Chicken Piccata:
- Sauvignon Blanc has bright citrus and herbal notes that pair nicely with the lemon and parsley found in this dish.
- Pinot Grigio and Pinot Blanc are a nice match with their crisp minerality and citrus notes.
- For something unexpected, and budget friendly, try a Vinho Verde.
Looking for more quick and easy weeknight dinner recipes? Try these:
- 20 Minute Tortellini Skillet Lasagna
- One Skillet Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas and Yogurt
- 30-Minute Thai Beef with Chiles and Basil