Here is my roundup of Thanksgiving Wines. I went to a lot of trouble tasting all of these for you 😉
Some are a bit of a splurge, but most are under $10! Cheers!!!
Pinot Noir – Pinot is a perfect Thanksgiving wine. Most pinots have an underlying flavor of ripe berries and cherries with an earthy (almost mushroomy) layer that brings out the flavors of stuffing and turkey, plus, because it’s tinged with a bright acidity, it pairs well with rich dishes like mashed potatoes.
- Vintjs Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (2013) ($8.99) – Smooth and dry, with plenty of fruit.
- Argyle Reserve Pinot Noir (2012) ($40) – Black cherry and cranberry with toasted hazelnuts and vanilla.
- Lange Freedom Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir (2011) ($60) – Smoky black tea flavors accent the cherry and blackberry fruit.
Roses – These are NOT sweet roses. They’re crisp, dry, and slightly acidic, and perfect for bridging that red-or-white gap in a meal that may not pair perfectly with one or the other.
- Josefina Syrah Rose (2013) ($4.99) – Slightly acidic, crisp and blushing. Aromas of rose petals and strawberries.
- Espiral Vinho Rose ($4.99) – Strawberry and citrus with tiny hints of bubbles.
- Miraval Rose (2013) ($25) – Beautiful light pale pink color. Strawberries and raspberries, wild herbs, citrus and wet stone flavors. Fun Fact- This one is made by Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt 😉
Whites – You can pick a wide variety of whites to pair with your thanksgiving fare. Since it’s the holiday, I like to break away from the normal chardonnays and go for something a little more exciting!
- Cecilia Beretta Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene Brut Millesimato ($10) – Pear and grapefruit, with moderate acidity and fine bubbles.
- Foundry Vineyards White on White ($19) – Citrus blossoms, honey, lemon and wet stone, refreshing acidity.
- King Estate Paradox Pinot Gris ($24) – Pinot gris that has been partially aged in oak giving it additional character without stripping the crisp melon and citrus flavors.
- Trader Joe’s is a great source for wine – Red #1, Roses #1 and #2, and White #1 were all found there.