These Baked Tortilla Chips are made using store-bought corn tortillas. Just cut them into wedges, season them with Mexican spices, spray with oil and bake for a perfectly crispy, dippable chip!
I’m always on the hunt for ways to enjoy MORE food while staying somewhat guilt free (see here and here). I’ve seen suggestions of using sliced jicama or carrots as dippers for your salsa or guacamole, but I can’t quite trick myself into actually thinking of that as a treat. Instead, I enjoy these baked tortilla chips. They’re SO easy to make at home and so much better for you than deep-fried chips. For around 120 calories, you can enjoy 16 of them. *Bonus*… they taste good, like REALLY good! We start off using just store bought corn tortillas. Cut them into wedges or strips and lightly spray with olive oil. Then, they’re spiced up with a combination of smoky chili powder, cumin and lime zest. They bake up nice and sturdy, perfect for
shoveling guacamole into your mouth hearty dips. Also, if you happen to be on a low sodium diet, you can definitely control the amount of salt added.
I’d strongly suggest using a Silpat to line your baking sheet. The chips tend to crisp up much more evenly with the liner. Also, if you’ve got a convection oven, turn that on as well. The circulation of air is another great way to boost the crispiness of your chips. Of course, if you don’t have a Silpat or convection, you’ll still get great chips, just be sure to rotate your pan halfway through cooking, and perhaps even flip the chips over halfway through the cooking process as well.
Do you have a favorite salsa recipe? There are SO many out there!!! For me, the hotter the better – Except, I draw the line at habaneros. I can only take a drop of that bright orange stuff and my tongue is on FIRE! I don’t remember why exactly, but in college, I had a habanero plant. My three male roommates dared each other to eat the peppers. Let’s just say, it was a Saturday night and we were supposed to go to a friend’s party, but instead, they were sprawled out on the floor in pain and with hiccups. Boys will be boys. Did I mention they were guys? Did I need to? I didn’t partake… My common sense took over… (Sorry guys, no offense). Hmmm… I don’t remember what happened to the pepper plant after than night…
For now, I’m sticking with these dips:
- Cheesy Enchilada Dip
- Artichoke Queso Fundido
- Guacamole with Blue Cheese & Smoked Almonds
- 5 Minute Avocado Chipotle Salsa
Baked Tortilla Chips
- 1 12-oz package corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each tortilla into wedges or strips and arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet coated with olive oil spray. (I like to first line my cookie sheet with a Silpat to get the chips extra crisp)
- Combine the cumin, chili powder, lime zest and salt in a small bowl.
- Spray the top of each chip with a light coating of olive oil spray. (This will help brown the chips and allow your spices to stick)
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on top of the chips.
- Bake for about 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 7-8 minutes or until the chips are crisp, and lightly browned.