Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta – a super easy pasta dish with the most delicious, creamy sun-dried tomato sauce loaded with mozzarella & parmesan cheese. This vegetarian dinner will be on your dinner table in 20 minutes!
So, guys. I’ve been noticing that you are really into recipes on this site that have dreamy sauces. For example, these Turkey Swedish Meatballs, this Butter Chicken, and this Mongolian Beef. You’re also really into easy weeknight dinner recipes.
So I’m here today to give you more of what you want! Bringing the dreamy sauce on strong with this Creamy Tomato Pasta.
Here’s the dish on this dish:
- Tangy sun-dried tomatoes with a hint of sweetness
- Mozzarella AND parmesan cheese
- White wine – because it makes everything better in my book!
- Fresh basil
And it basically had to be made since I just made these homemade sun dried tomatoes in the oven.
Of course, you do not need to go to all the trouble of making sun dried tomatoes at home
Of course, you do not need to go to all the trouble of making sun dried tomatoes at home (although it’s very easy). And the rest of the ingredients are super simple, things that you may already have on hand.
Why you’re going to LOVE it:
- It’s an easy recipe that comes together in just 20 minutes!
- It’s a great way to use up that jar of sun dried tomatoes that’s been sitting around in your fridge.
- It’s made with simple ingredients. You may have the pantry staples on hand already.
- That delicious sauce is irresistible. The whole family will gobble it up!
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Ingredients
- Pasta – You can use any shape you’d like for this recipe. I used penne pasta, but bowtie pasta, rotini, even whole wheat pasta will work. Just cook the to al dente according to the package instructions, then follow the recipe below.
- Butter – For that creamy, decadence.
- Fresh Garlic – I added in 3 cloves of garlic, but feel free to adjust according to your personal preference. Garlic powder also works. Or try adding in some roasted garlic for even more umami flavor!
- Flour – Used for thickening the sauce.
- White Wine – I love the flavor it adds, but the wine is totally optional. You can also use chicken broth.
- Heavy Cream – This wouldn’t be a creamy pasta recipe without heavy cream. You can also use half and half, cream cheese or sour cream.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – Standard jarred sun-dried tomatoes are great. But, you can also try your hand at making these homemade sun dried tomatoes.
- Mozzarella & Parmesan – ✨ All the cheese, please. ✨
- Oregano, Basil & Red Pepper Flakes – Feel free to leave the chili flakes out if you don’t like heat. Or, try swapping in some homemade Italian seasoning.
How Do You Soften Sun-Dried Tomatoes for Pasta?
My homemade sun dried tomatoes were in olive oil, as many store brands are. However, if you purchase tomatoes that aren’t packed in oil, you will want to soften them first. To do so, just soak them in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain.
How to Make Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Cook pasta + drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned.
- Add white wine (or chicken broth) and cook until incorporated.
- Stir in cream, tomatoes, cheese, oregano + pepper flakes. Stir until cheese melts.
- Add basil and season with salt + pepper, to taste.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce adding cooking liquid as needed to thin.
Tip: Make sure to reserve some of the pasta cooking liquid before draining. Then, if your cream sauce is too thick, add some of the cooking liquid to help reach your desired consistency.
I kept this recipe vegetarian, since when I’m eating a big bowl of pasta, I feel that an added protein is unnecessary. But, you could definitely add chicken, italian sausage or shrimp!
- Before starting the cream sauce, brown up two chicken breasts (I like to season them with Italian seasoning and a bit of paprika). Set aside and slice the chicken then add it back to the cooked cream sauce.
- Before starting the cream sauce, cook ½ pound uncooked shrimp until pink and opaque. Set aside and sprinkle with lemon juice, then add it back to the cooked cream sauce.
- Before starting the cream sauce, brown up some sausage links or ground sausage. Set aside and slice the links, then add it back to the cooked cream sauce.
- Add 1 cup fresh baby spinach to the pasta & sauce. Stir until wilted, then add in basil and serve.
How to Store It
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave, or on the stove in a large skillet with a splash of water or stock.
🍴What do you Serve with it?
This recipe is a meal all on its own but is extra delightful when served alongside a fresh salad, crusty bread, and any of these light sides:
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Arugula Salad
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Cherry Tomato Salad
- MORE —> the BEST sides for pasta.
Did You Make This Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta?
If you loved this pasta recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Sauvignon Blanc pairs very nicely with this rich, creamy sauce.
- Pinot Gris is another great match – With bright acidity and notes of citrus, it’ll pair well.
- MORE —> wine pairings for pasta.
More Easy Pasta Recipes:
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Tortellini in Cream Sauce
- Canned Tuna Pasta
- Roasted Fennel Pasta
- Simple Lemon Pasta
- Pasta Alla Vodka
- Squid Ink Pasta with Shrimp & Cherry Tomatoes
- Bacon + Peas Pasta
- Bacon + Tomato Pasta
- Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage
MORE —> 40+ Sun Dried Tomato Recipes!
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (drained)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- Small handful fresh basil chopped finely
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in white wine (or chicken broth) and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano and red pepper flakes until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce adding cooking liquid as needed to thin out the sauce. Serve.
This post was originally published in 2020. It was updated in 2022 to add new information. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Watch the web story here.