This delicious Hot Toddy recipe is perfect for chilly weather. Learn several variations on how to make a hot toddy – with tea, apple cider, brandy, bourbon, or rum.
Right up there with my other favorite warm drinks like Mulled Cider and Mulled Wine is a classic hot toddy. Give me a warm blanket, a good movie on TV and a mug of this and I’m a happy girl.
What is a Hot Toddy?
- Also known as hot whiskey in Ireland, it’s typically a cocktail, served warm, and made of liquor and water with honey, herbs and spices. (Source: Wikipedia)
What is the Best Alcohol for a Hot Toddy?
- Use your favorite dark colored spirit – brandy, bourbon, rum, and whiskey are all great choices.
When is a Hot Toddy Served Traditionally?
- Toddies are traditionally drunk before bedtime, or in cold weather or to relieve the symptoms of a cold.
Traditionally What is Included in a Hot Toddy?
The traditional recipe calls for 4-ingredients:
- Hot Water
7 Variations on a Hot Toddy:
- With Tea: Use hot brewed tea in place of the hot water (camomile and green tea are delicious)
- With Brandy: Use brandy, apple brandy, or pear brandy for a yummy flavor twist.
- With Bourbon: Swap in your favorite bourbon.
- With Rum: Rum also makes a great stand in for the whiskey.
- With Apple Cider: Use warm apple cider in place of the hot water.
- With Cinnamon: Add a pinch of cinnamon, or use cinnamon whiskey.
- With Maple: Use maple syrup in place of the honey.
How To Serve One:
- I like to serve my toddies garnished with a cinnamon stick and/or star anise. Sometimes I’ll also add a lemon slice or other citrus fruit.
Do Hot Toddies Really Work?
- You may be wondering what does a hot toddy do for a cold? It’s said that alcohol dilates the blood vessels, making it easier for mucus membranes to stand up to an infection. That combined with the hot water (or tea), lemon (for Vitamin C), and honey to soothe a sore throat, makes it the perfect drink for when you have a cough or cold.
If you loved this recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Cocktail Recipes for Cooler Months:
Hot Toddy Recipe
- 1 ounce whiskey
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup boiling-hot water
- Put whiskey, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug. Top off with hot water and stir until honey is dissolved.
This recipe was originally published in 2015. It was updated in 2020 to add new information and photographs.