These Melon Skewers with Aleppo Pepper and Lime Zest make a perfect party appetizer that’s elegant, refreshing and easy to prepare.
Last week I hosted our first housewarming party and invited over the gals from work. I was a bit nervous to be hosting on a weeknight, as it would just give me a couple hours to prepare for a group of about 15 girls, but everything went off without a hitch. Except that Sammie the Labradoodle decided it would be a fun idea to prop her front paws on the counter and snag a couple prosciutto wrapped avocados right before everyone arrived. Luckily, I had extras in the fridge.
My game plan was to put together bites that were easy to prepare, could be prepped ahead of time, looked pretty, and went well with wine – Of course!
The spread consisted of:
- Harissa Hummus with pita bread and vegetables
- Prosciutto Wrapped Avocados
- Crudite platter with Greek Yogurt Dressing
- Strawberry Bites with Goat Cheese Mousse and Balsamic Glaze
- Macaroons (From the Trader Joe’s freezer section)
- Melon Skewers with Aleppo Pepper
And wine, the spread also consisted of lots of wine – Bubbles, Rosé Bubbles, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Rosé and Pinot Noir – Because what’s a good party without wine of every kind? (Check out this list for some of my summer favorites)
These Melon Skewers with Aleppo Pepper turned out to be the perfect choice for the housewarming party because it was HOT outside and these were the prefect, refreshing treat on a 90 degree summer day. And, as I mentioned previously, they were super simple to prepare.
I actually cubed up my melon the night before, and just wrapped it up in some plastic wrap, making things extra simple. Then, shortly before the party, I skewered the cubes, and sprinkled on some Aleppo pepper and lime zest. I used honeydew, but this recipe is also delicious with watermelon or cantaloupe too! The Aleppo pepper has a bit of heat, but it’s not too spicy. It just adds a bit of interest and smoky flavor, while the lime zest brightens everything up.
These bites were the perfect pairing with some ice cold Rosé – I could snack and sip all night…
Do you have any simple party dishes that you like to prepare in a time crunch? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Melon Skewers with Aleppo PepperPrint
- 1 honeydew rind and seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp . Aleppo pepper flakes
- 1 lime zested
- Cut the melon into 1-inch cubes. Skewer the melon pieces (two pieces for each skewer), and place them on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle the melon skewers with Aleppo pepper, followed by the lime zest.
- Brut Sparkling Rosé
- Dry Rosé