This Easy Slow Cooker Apple Butter is easy to make with the help of your crockpot. It’s a delicious topping, spread and condiment.
There’s a reason I’m not leaving the house today.
No, it’s not the Killer Clown scare, or the massive buckets of rain coming down outside. The reason I’m not leaving the house today is because it just smells too good! I’ve had this Apple Butter cooking away in my slow cooker since last night and the smells in this house you guys are just amazing.It’s pretty much like the best fall-scented candle that you can buy – Apples, warm cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg and allspice, without that weird artificial smell added in.
Nope – This is just pure fall goodness – And you can eat it too!
Growing up, we seemed to have Apple Butter on hand a lot. It wasn’t the homemade version – I think it was more like this brand – but I loved to eat it up, especially on top a warm English muffin or biscuit with some melted butter. Yum!
Are you familiar with Apple Butter? It seems like lots of my friends here in the Pacific NW haven’t really heard of it… Is it a Midwest thing? (I first latched onto it when I was living in Illinois.) If not, it’s time to get acquainted!
Easy Apple Butter Recipe
Slow cooking is where it’s at – It’s like applesauce, to the extreme. The longer it cooks, the more the apples break down, become creamy, and the “butter’ caramelizes. In the end, the apples just melt down into this rich, buttery sauce. You pretty much don’t even need to do anything else. However, I wanted it extra smooth, so I processed it in a blender at the end.
Note that when you load the apples into your slow cooker, they’ll pretty much come up to the top making it somewhat difficult to give it a good stir – No worries! Just let them cook away and give it a toss every couple hours or so. The ingredients will all combine evenly at the end.
Apple Butter Uses
- As an accompaniment to a Harvest Cheese Board
- As a topping for a bowl of vanilla or caramel ice cream
- Spread on an english muffin or toast
- On a grilled cheese sandwich for a fun twist
Are you familiar with Apple Butter? How do you like to eat it?
If you loved this homemade Slow Cooker Apple Butter I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe
Easy Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- 5 lbs . apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp . cinnamon
- 1 tsp . nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp . allspice
- ¼ tsp . salt
- Place apples in slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
- Cook on low for 12 hours, stirring and breaking up the apples occasionally.
- Remove cover and use a blender to puree the apple butter until smooth. If you would like a thicker apple butter, return the mixture to the slow cooker and cook on low, with the lid ajar, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Allow the mixture to cook and then transfer to jars. It will store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.