Rum is one of the most versatile and mixable liquors when it comes to cocktails. Whether you’re in the mood for a classic like the Mai Tai or a modern twist on an old favorite like a Blackberry Mojito, there’s a rum cocktail that’s just right for you.
Rum is too often forgotten in the world of spirits, but it’s a powerhouse of flavor and perfectly complements a wide range of other ingredients.
Take a look at these delicious rum drinks and see how this often overlooked spirit can be transformed into something truly delicious!
What is rum?
- Rum is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane byproducts, such as molasses or sugarcane juice. It is typically associated with Caribbean and Latin American countries, although it is produced in many other regions around the world. Rum can be light or dark in color, and it is aged in oak barrels, which can give it a unique flavor and aroma.
- Taste: Generally, rum has a sweet, slightly fruity flavor with hints of caramel, vanilla, and sometimes spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg. Light rums tend to be milder and have a subtle taste of sugarcane, while dark rums have a richer and more complex flavor profile, with notes of molasses, oak, and smoke.
- Alcohol content: No less than 40% ABV.
And now… On to the cocktails!
The BEST rum cocktails
This Strawberry Mojito recipe is the perfect summer cocktail. Mint, rum and lime juice combine with delicious strawberries in this refreshing cocktail.Get the RECIPE
This Mai Tai recipe is a Hawaiian classic. And since most of us aren’t going to the beach anytime soon, now is the perfect time to celebrate with a Mai Tai at home.Get the RECIPE
This easy Mojito recipe is the perfect summer. Learn about the best rum to use, its ingredients and history.Get the RECIPE
The Jungle Bird Cocktail is the grown-up fruity cocktail you’ve been looking for! It’s a tropical and refreshing rum and pineapple drink that’s balanced with the subtle bitter qualities of Campari.Get the RECIPE
This Creamy Coconut Blackberry Mojito recipe is perfect for the summer. Blackberries, mint, rum and lime juice combine with cream of coconut, served up on ice with a sugar-lime rim. Delicious!Get the RECIPE
There’s nothing more simple and refreshing than a Classic Daiquiri! Only three ingredients & less than a minute to make.Get the RECIPE from Cake n Knife
The New Orleans Hurricane Drink is the quintessential NOLA cocktail that gets the party started. Sweet, tropical, and highly addictive, they bring a little bit of The Big Easy right to your home.Get the RECIPE from Grandbaby Cakes
This Creamy Coconut Mojito recipe is perfect for the summer. Mint, rum and lime juice combine with cream of coconut, served up on ice with a sugar-lime rim.Get the RECIPE
Planters Punch is the perfect combination of sparkling and sweet, a refreshing summer drink for every gathering! Make it by the glass or pitcher.Get the RECIPE from Gonna Want Seconds
The Bushwacker drink is like a mashup of a chocolate milkshake and piña colada! This boozy frozen cocktail stars rum, Kahlua and creme de cacao.Get the RECIPE from A Couple Cooks
Piña Colada is a quintessential summer and tropical get-away drink! This blender recipe is the perfect balance of flavor and frosty texture.Get the RECPE from Bellyfull
Pineapple Cocktails are a light, fruity, and refreshing drink! With only five ingredients, these pineapple cocktails will be a new favorite!Get the RECIPE from The Toasted Pinenut
The classic Dark n Stormy updated with ginger syrup and peaches!Get the RECIPE from Liquid Culture
The Rum Sour uses aged golden rum to impart a brûléed tropical fruit flavor, pairing well with the sunny character of fresh lemon juice.Get the RECIPE from Vine Pair
A classic cocktail that never fails, rum punch is the perfect fruity, sweet and sour drink. Not to mention, it is also a pretty drink.Get the RECIPE from Sugar and Cloth
Do you know how to make a Cuba Libre cocktail? It’s essentially a rum and coke with lime, but there’s a way to make the best, most balanced version of this classic.Get the RECIPE from Feast and West
Often described as the love child of the Mojito and the French 75, the Old Cuban is a refreshing modern classic. See the recipe here!Get the RECIPE from Vine Pair
This light and refreshing rum swizzle cocktail is made with light and dark rum, fruit juices, and bitters. The ultimate summer beverage!Get the RECIPE from Dishes Delish
El Presidente Cocktail: Cuban (or Puerto Rican) rum, dry vermouth and curaçao.Get the RECIPE from Cold Glass
This Painkiller Cocktail is so creamy, fruity and refreshing. Pineapple, coconut, orange and rum, dusted with nutmeg. A taste of the tropics!Get the RECIPE from Panning the Globe
This Rum Runner Cocktail is made with fruity and refreshing banana, blackberry, pineapple, and orange flavors.Get the RECIPE from Cooking with Curls
The Between The Sheets is a brandy and rum-based cocktail recipe that was created at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris.Get the RECIPE from Sips from Scripts
Hot Buttered Rum is a traditional cocktail made with butter, brown sugar, rum and spices! This warming drink is perfect for the holiday season and so easy!Get the RECIPE from The Salty Marshmallow
Blue Hawaiian – Transport yourself to the tropics with this electric blue cocktail classic! Tropical flavors mixed with a blend of alcohol.Get the RECIPE from Jo Cooks
The Zombie cocktail is one of the most famous Tiki drinks. It is high time to have a look at the original 1934 recipe for this legendary concoction.Get the RECIPE from Liquor Alchemy
More liquor guides
25+ BEST Rum Cocktails to Mix at Home!
Rum is such a versatile liquor. Try a classic Mai Tai or mix up something new! Here's 25+ of the BEST rum cocktails to mix up at home! Try this Jungle Bird Cocktail. It’s a tropical and refreshing rum and pineapple drink that’s balanced with the subtle bitter qualities of Campari.Print Pin
Servings: 1 cocktail
- 1 ½ ounces dark rum
- 1 ½ ounces pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- ½ ounce lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Pineapple leaves (optional)
- Pineapple wedge (optional)
- Maraschino cherry (optional)
- Add the ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake well, until chilled.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish, as desired. Enjoy!
- A cocktail shaker is the best tool to use when putting the drink together. If you don’t have one, you can use a sealed mason jar or any other airtight container instead.
- Is it too boozy? Tone down the alcohol by only using .5 to 1 ounce of rum and only a .5 ounce of Campari.
- To give the cocktail a frothy and silky smooth head, shake the ingredients (except the ice) + one egg white together in the cocktail shaker for 30 seconds. Add a handful of ice and shake again until cold. Strain over ice and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?Mention @platingsandpairings or tag #platingsandpairings!
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 0.2g | Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.02g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg