This Creamy Coconut Mojito recipe is perfect for the summer. It’s like a pina colada and mojito in one cocktail. Mint, rum and lime juice combine with cream of coconut, served up on ice with a sugar-lime rim.
And today I’m here with a fun twist on the classic mojito recipe.
Creamy Coconut Mojitos
It’s like a pina colada and mojito got together and had a baby. An amazingly delicious, creamy, refreshing baby.
I added some cream of coconut to my classic mojito recipe, and served it up with a super addictive lime-sugar rim (that I now want to rim all my cocktails with). The result was heaven. Super refreshing. But with all the feelings of decadence.
What is the Best Rum for a Mojito?
You’ll want to use light rum in this easy mojito recipe (also called silver rum or white rum). Since rum is the only alcohol in the drink, you want to be sure to use a rum that you love. However, this is also not the time to reach for your most expensive bottle of rum, since its flavor will become diluted.
Here are some of the rums for a Mojito, that come in at under $30 a bottle:
- Bacardi Silver
- Mount Gay Eclipse Silver Rum
- Cruzan Aged White Rum
- Havana Club Anejo Blanco Puerto Rican Rum
Coconut Mojito Ingredients:
- Rum: white rum or silver rum (or use coconut rum for more coconut flavor)
- Lime Juice: fresh squeezed
- Fresh Mint
- Cream of Coconut
- Club Soda
You will also need:
How Do You Make a Coconut Mojito?
- Muddle the mint. Add mint to a cocktail shaker and use a muddler (or the back of a wooden spoon) to gently muddle the mint and release its aromas.
- Add rum, lime juice, and cream of coconut.
- Shake with ice. Add ice to the cocktail shaker, then cover and shake well, until chilled.
- Strain & top with club soda. Strain the mixture into a highball glass filled with fresh ice. Top with club soda.
- Garnish with fresh mint and a lime wheel, if desired.
Coconut Mojito Variations:
- Coconut Rum. I used white rum in this recipe, but if you’d like even more coconut flavor, you can use coconut rum.
- Frozen Coconut Mojito. Instead of serving this drink on the rocks, you can blend it all together with some ice for a frozen drink.
- Pitcher Coconut Mojitos. Using the recipe card below, adjust the serving size to 6 or 8. Add all ingredients to a pitcher and serve. Great for parties!
- Mint Julep – Similar to a Mojito, but made with bourbon.
- Vodka Mojito – Swap out the rum for vodka.
- Tequila Mojito – Swap out the rum for tequila.
- Mojito with Gin – Swap out the rum for gin.
- Strawberry Mojito – Muddle in some fresh strawberries with the mint.
Tropical Cocktail Recipes:
- Mai Tai
- Tropical Pineapple Cocktail Recipe
- Grilled Pineapple Margarita with Jalapeno
- Cherry Moscow Mule
- Paloma Cocktail Recipe
Creamy Coconut Mojito Recipe
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum (or coconut rum)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 ounces cream of coconut (¼ cup)
- Soda water (for topping)
- Mint sprigs (to garnish)
- Lime wheels (to garnish)
Sugar Lime Rim:
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- To make the sugar lime rim, combine the lime zest, sugar, and salt on a shallow plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glasses then dip into the sugar mixture. Fill with ice.
- Lightly muddle the mint in a cocktail shaker.
- Add the rum, lime juice, cream of coconut and ice and shake.
- Strain into rimmed glass. Top with club soda.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wheel.