This easy Mojito recipe is the perfect summer cocktail. Learn about the best rum to use, its ingredients and how to make one at home.
This post is for all my rum lovers out there. I know there’s a big handful of you. And while I’m more of a vodka girl, I’m all about partaking in a classic mojito when it’s hot outside and the sun is shining.
And, year after year, I’ve set myself out to making the best mint julep recipe. With feedback from friends, I’m confident that I’ve mastered this classic cocktail. And I’m here to share my technique with you today!
First thing’s first…
What Does a Mojito Taste Like?
- Mojitos are delightfully refreshing with a hint of sweetness but they still pack a punch from the rum. The longer you let it sit, the more diluted the rum will become and the more it will taste like mint.
Is a Mojito a Girly Drink?
- Even though it’s a mixed drink, the Mojito isn’t a girly drink. It packs a serious punch with the rum. A couple of these and the afternoon can easily slip away from you.
What Alcohol is in a Mojito?
- Mojitos are traditionally made with rum, though there are variations, which are mentioned below.
What is the Best Rum for a Mojito?
Use light rum in this easy mojito recipe (also called silver rum or white rum). Since rum is the only alcohol in the drink, you want to be sure to use a rum that you love. However, this is also not the time to reach for your most expensive bottle of rum, since its flavor will become diluted.
Here are some of the rums for a Mojito, that come in at under $30 a bottle:
- Bacardi Silver
- Mount Gay Eclipse Silver Rum
- Cruzan Aged White Rum
- Havana Club Anejo Blanco Puerto Rican Rum
- Rum: white rum or silver rum
- Lime Juice: fresh squeezed
- Fresh Mint
- Club Soda
- Simple Syrup
You will also need:
How Do You Make a Mojito From Scratch?
- Muddle the mint. Add mint to a cocktail shaker and use a muddler (or the back of a wooden spoon) to gently muddle the mint and release its aromas.
- Add rum, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Shake with ice. Add ice to the cocktail shaker, then cover and shake well, until chilled.
- Strain & top with club soda. Strain the mixture into a highball glass filled with fresh ice. Top with club soda.
- Garnish with fresh mint and a lime wheel, if desired.
How Do You Make a Pitcher of Mojitos?
Simply use the recipe card below and adjust the serving size to “8 servings” by clicking on the box. Then add the mint leaves to a large pitcher and muddle. Add ice, rum and simple syrup and fill with ice, leaving room to top it off with club soda. Add club soda and serve.
Mojito Recipe Variations:
- Mint Julep – Similar to a Mojito, but made with bourbon.
- Vodka Mojito – Swap out the rum for vodka.
- Tequila Mojito – Swap out the rum for tequila.
- Mojito with Gin – Swap out the rum for gin.
- Strawberry Mojito – Muddle in some fresh strawberries with the mint.
- Coconut Mojito – Add some cream of coconut before shaking up your mojito.
Classic Cocktail Recipes
- Gin and Tonic Recipe // 3 Ways to Customize
- French 75 Cocktail Recipe
- Bees Knees Cocktail Recipe
- Aviation Cocktail Recipe
- Aperol Spritz
Easy Mojito Recipe
- 10 mint leaves
- 2 ounces light rum
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Club soda (to top)
- Mint sprig (to garnish)
- Lime wheel (to garnish)
- Lightly muddle the mint in a cocktail shaker.
- Add the rum, lime juice, simple syrup and ice and shake.
- Strain into a highball glass over fresh ice. Top with club soda.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wheel.