Homemade Bacon Salt is perfect for sprinkling on popcorn, rimming a Bloody Mary, or finishing off a steak. Plus, it makes a great gift!
I’ve recently discovered a magical ingredient that instantly makes almost any recipe it’s added to ten times better – Homemade Bacon Salt. It’s smoky, salty flavor can add a little something extra to just about anything.
How to use bacon salt:
- Sprinkled over Chocolate Chip Cookies just before baking.
- As a rim for Bloody Marys.
- As the perfect finishing touch to a Caramel Sundae.
- To top off a perfectly cooked Filet Mignon.
- As a Popcorn seasoning.
- Stirred into Scrambled Eggs.
- Etc., etc., etc….
Bacon Salt is also incredibly easy to make. It takes just three ingredients and half an hour. I start by baking an entire package of bacon in a 375 degree oven. The trick to getting crispy bacon this way is to bake it on cookie racks that are placed over baking sheets, allowing the air to circulate around the bacon and get every nook and cranny perfectly browned and cooked. Once the bacon has crisped up, and cooled, it’s finely chopped and added to a good amount of kosher salt and a dash of black pepper.
In order to really make that bacon flavor stand out, I went with a ratio of about three-quarters bacon to one-quarter salt. The result? Smoky, salty, buttery and with just a hint of spice from the black pepper. I immediately wanted to sprinkle it on everything…
Bacon Salt deserves to be shared… It makes a perfect parting gift for dinner guests, and easy DIY Christmas Gift, or just the perfect way to brighten up someone’s Tuesday! I like to package it up into decorative glass jars and attach a small salt spoon and decorative label for an extra special touch. But if you’re not in the sharing mood, this bogarted Bacon Salt can also be stored in your refrigerator for up to three weeks. And, if you’re anything like me, it will be gone long before then…
What would be your favorite way to use this Bacon Salt? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
More bacon recipes:
- Filet Mignon Bites with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Bacon & Shallot Fried Rice
- Create a DIY Bacon Bar (perfect for brunch entertaining)
- Dates Wrapped in Bacon with Marcona Almonds
If you loved this Bacon Salt recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Bacon Salt Recipe
Homemade Bacon Salt
- 1 12- ounce package bacon
- ¾ cup coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange bacon slices on a cookie rack placed on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until crisp. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool completely.
- Chop bacon very finely using either a knife or food processor. Mix with salt and pepper.
- Pack into small jars to give as gifts. Keep refrigerated.