With these 15 sensational sauces at your disposal, you can take your mussels from ordinary to extraordinary. Whether you prefer classic, spicy, exotic, or creamy flavors, there’s a sauce on this list to satisfy every palate. Bon appétit.
Mussels, with their delicate texture and briny flavor, are a culinary delight that deserve to be celebrated. And, while mussels are exquisite on their own, pairing them with the perfect sauce can elevate their taste to sublime levels.
Whether you’re a fan of classic flavors or crave something bold and adventurous, I’ve gathered 15 tasty sauces that will take your mussels from delicious to unforgettable.
Try them all today and find out which one you like the best.
The BEST Sauces for Mussels
A classic that never fails, this aromatic sauce combines the richness of melted butter with the subtle sweetness of white wine and the pungent allure of fresh garlic. It’s a timeless combination that complements the natural sweetness of mussels.
Experience the elegance of French cuisine with this luxurious sauce. Velvety and tangy, it combines Dijon mustard, cream, and a hint of white wine to create a sophisticated balance of flavors that harmonize beautifully with the tender mussels.
Mouclade is a divine dish of steamed mussels in a mild saffron curry cream sauce kissed with cognac. It originated from La Rochelle in south western France.
Delve into the umami-rich depths of Chinese cuisine with this bold and savory sauce. Made from fermented black beans, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce, it infuses your mussels with an intense and complex flavor profile that will leave you craving more.
Indulge in a decadent sauce that combines the creaminess of Parmesan cheese with a medley of fragrant herbs. Thyme, parsley, and chives harmonize perfectly with the mussels, creating a rich and satisfying culinary experience.
For the lovers of bold flavors, this sauce is a game-changer. The smokiness of bacon, the richness of stout beer, and the depth of caramelized onions come together to create a sauce that adds a tantalizingly unique twist to your mussels.
Spice up your mussels with the vibrant flavors of North Africa. Harissa, a fiery chili paste, pairs perfectly with cumin, coriander, and garlic, creating a sauce that adds a tantalizing kick and a touch of exoticism to your seafood.
How to Make Ahead and Store
Many of these mussel sauce recipes can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a few days or even in the freezer. Simply check the individual recipes for full storing instructions and details on how to make ahead.
More Seafood Sauce Recipes
- Sauces for Calamari
- Sauces for Shrimp
- Sauces for Lobster
- Sauces for Fried Fish
- Sauces for Salmon
- Sauces for Sushi
Did you Make Any of These Sauces for Mussels?
Please leave a comment and rating below, if you loved this round up of sauces for steamed mussels. Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
15+ BEST Sauces for Mussels
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you’d like spicy Fra Diavolo mussels)
- 1 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Gris, but Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay would work)
- 1 23.5 ounce jars marinara sauce
- 2 pounds mussels (scrubbed and debearded)
- Salt (to taste)
- Chopped parsley (for serving)
- Crusty bread (for serving)
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil and sauté garlic (and red pepper flakes if using) for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir in mussels, cover and cook until mussels open, 3 to 5 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open.
- Season with salt, to taste, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.