This Green Bloody Mary is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day but delicious any time of the year! Made with tomatillos, yellow tomatoes horseradish for a great kick.
I’ve always been a big fan of Saint Patrick’s Day. The Irish holiday is one of my favorites for several reasons:
- I love corned beef – As a child, I used to ask for it on my birthdays. Now, I make it on my own, either in the Instant Pot or the Slow Cooker.
- Green is my favorite color.
- Who doesn’t love a holiday surrounded by adult beverages?
- I’m 1/2 Irish (1/2 Italian)
- My name is part of the holiday saying: Erin Go Braugh!
So, why don’t we prepare a festive cocktail for this emerald holiday?
Green Bloody Marys
This Green Bloody Mary is a lot like the original tomato version, but it’s made with tomatillos and yellow tomatoes instead of the traditional red variety. Which also brings me to think – Should these even be called Bloody Marys, since they’re no longer red? Regardless, they’re delicious!
When I first created this recipe, I made a jalapeno infused vodka to add to the Bloody Marys. But, over time, I’ve found that it’s not necessary. Instead, I just blend up that jalapeno into the Green Bloody Mary mix to give it a good bit of heat and flavor. If you’re not in to spicy bloody marys, you can definitely skip the jalapeno, or halve the amount, but I really didn’t find this to be too spicy at all. You could even spice this up a bit more at the end with a few dashes of hot sauce.
How will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this year? It’s on a Saturday this year, so it should be an extra festive occasion if you’re one to go out. But me, I’ll be celebrating with friends at home, with some yummy corned beef and cabbage and lots of amazing wine (rather than beer)? I’d love to hear your plans in the comments below!
If you loved this Green Bloody Mary I would appreciate it so much if you would give this cocktail recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished bloody mary and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Green Bloody Mary Recipe
Green Bloody Mary
This Green Bloody Mary is perfect for St. Patrick's Day but delicious any time of the year! Made with tomatillos, yellow tomatoes horseradish for a great kick.
- 6 ounces vodka
Green Bloody Mary Mix
- 5 tomatillos husks removed
- 3 medium yellow tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Golden tomatoes
- Serrano peppers
- Salt & Chili Powder
Green Bloody Mary Mix
Cut the tomatoes, tomatillos, celery and jalapeno into large chunks. Add to your blender along with chopped cilantro, horseradish, water and spices. Process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust your seasonings as desired.
- If you prefer a thinner bloody mary, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. For a thicker cocktail, serve as is. I prefer to strain half of my mixture and then combine it with the thick, for a medium consistency.
- Chill before serving.
- To rim your glass, combine a mixture of 1/2 kosher salt and 1/2 chili powder in a small rimmed dish. Run a lemon around the lip of your glass and then dip it into the salt to coat.
- Add 1-1/2 ounces vodka to your glass and top with the bloody mary mix. Garnish with a celery stick and skewered tomatoes.