This Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling is here to make all you pumpkin lovers extremely happy. It’s moist, and not overly sweet, with the most decadent cream cheese swirl running through it.
If pumpkin bread and cheesecake got together and had a baby, it would be this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread. And since I just wanted to take things over the top, I decided to top it off with a yummy streusel topping.
Please don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list. It looks long, but many of the ingredients are repeated in the batter, the cream cheese filling, and the streusel.
- Pumpkin – 100% pure pumpkin puree from the can. You’ll want the unsweetened variety, not pumpkin pie filling
- White Sugar + Brown Sugar
- Canola Oil – or vegetable oil or liquid coconut oil
- Cream Cheese – you can also use low-fat cream cheese
- Ground Cloves, Nutmeg, & Ground Ginger – or swap out for some pumpkin pie spice
📋 How To Make It
- Combine pumpkin with oil, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, and mix to combine (don’t overmix).
- Combine cream cheese, flour and sugar, then whisk in an egg.
- Add ⅔ pumpkin batter to a loaf pan, top with cream cheese and then remaining pumpkin batter.
- Combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon to make streusel topping. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
✔️ How Do You Keep It Moist?
- Because this pumpkin bread has a layer of cream cheese running through it, it stays extremely moist and delicious. Just be sure not to over bake it.
ℹ️ How to Store & Freeze
This bread will keep for up to three days. Keep it tightly wrapped in the refrigerator. To freeze, wrap in saran wrap, then foil. Freeze for up to three months.
Did you make this recipe?
If you loved this Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling and Streusel Topping I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
Can’t get enough of fall pumpkin recipes? Be sure to try this Pumpkin Risotto with Goat Cheeses, Pumpkin Mac and Cheese and Pumpkin Chili.
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Recipe
- ¼ cup canola oil (vegetable oil or liquid state coconut oil)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger*
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9X5 loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently mix together using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. There will be a few lumps. Do not overmix. Pour 2/3rds of the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, and flour. Once fully combined, whisk in the egg. Pour on top of the pumpkin bread layer, spreading cream cheese into an even layer.
- Pour the remaining pumpkin batter on top.
- To Make Streusel Topping: Mix together sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over pumpkin bread.
- Bake for approximately 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before removing and slicing.
Check out the web story here.
This post was originally published in 2020. It was updated in 2022 to add new information. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Risotto with Goat Cheese
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Chili
- Pumpkin Smoothie
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage & Sage
- Cheesy Baked Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Kale
7 thoughts on “Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl”
I’m so glad you liked it Arianna!
I only made the streusel topping to use on a different recipe, but it did not work at all. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned into a dense sugar paste kind of the consistency of cookie batter. I ended up following another streusel recipe here: https://sugarspunrun.com/streusel-topping-recipe/#recipe and it turned out perfectly. One thing that they mention is that the butter should be melted but cooled down, so that may be the problem here as I used my butter straight out of the microwave when following the recipe here. It seems like cool butter is a big part of what makes this recipe work? Anyway, I hope this helps someone else because it was frustrating to throw away the first batch.
Streusel is made more crumble-like with room temp butter or if it’s been sitting out
This same thing happened to me! Noted for next time that the butter should be cooled. 🙂
This was delicious! The topping came out perfect, you need to use softened butter not melted butter to make the crumble. I forgot the egg with my cream cheese and it still turned out but would have been better with the egg. It was a very easy bread to make and I’ll be making it again.
Thank you Jessie!