Pumpkin Mac and Cheese will quickly become your favorite fall meal. This family-friendly, easy recipe is a guaranteed winner!
Fall hit quickly in our house this year. It seems like one day it was summer, and the next I was pulling all my sweaters out of storage, swapping out flip flops for booties, and cooking all the comfort foods like this Lentil & Sausage Soup, this Easy Roasted Chicken, and this Slow Cooker Lamb Curry.
But this Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is the ultimate of all comfort foods.
Why you’ll love it
- Creamy pumpkin
- Perfectly cooked pasta shells
- Not only cheddar…
- But parmesan too!
And I’ve got a tip for you to make the absolute best Pumpkin Mac and Cheese (it’s the same one I put to use in my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese) – use evaporated milk!
- Pasta Shells – or macaroni, rotini, penne, etc.
- Butter – I like to use unsalted butter so that I can control the salt at the end.
- Evaporated Milk – I use one 12-ounce can to make this mac + cheese extra rich and creamy.
- Pumpkin Puree – look for 100% pure pumpkin puree that is unsweetened.
- Yellow Mustard – adds a yummy tang.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – or monterey jack, medium cheddar, even mozzarella.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt + Pepper
- Chives – for serving. Optional.
Why use evaporated milk in mac and cheese?
- Evaporated milk is essentially thickened milk, which means there’s less liquid in your dish and instead it’s just really, really creamy. I love how it blends right in and thickens this Pumpkin Mac and Cheese to the perfect consistency, along with that sharp cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese that lend the perfect tangy, cheesy flavor.
How to make it
- Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the evaporated milk and bring it to a simmer.
- Whisk in the pumpkin and cheeses, until they melt perfectly into the sauce.
- Season with mustard (for a good tang), nutmeg and a bit of salt and give it a taste.
- Cook your pasta for 1-2 minutes less than the recommended cook time on the package. Because we’ll be combining the pasta with the warm cheese sauce at the end, the pasta will continue to cook. Cooking to just shy of all dente will ensure that your pasta isn’t mushy or overcooked at the end.
- Be sure to reserve some of your pasta cooking water before draining. You can add the starchy liquid to your mac & cheese at the end if you find that it’s too thick.
- Swap out the chives for fried sage leaves.
- Add some chopped chipotle peppers to add some spice.
- Top with some crumbled bacon.
- Add some blue cheese.
- Stir in some browned sausage.
What to serve with it
- Blistered Shishito Peppers Recipe
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Grilled Broccolini with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Roasted Miso Cauliflower
- More → 30+ Sides for Mac and Cheese
- Try an off-dry Riesling. The slight sweetness of the wine balances out the salty cheese and its bright acidity refreshes your palate.
- Looking for red wine to pair with mac and cheese? Try a Lambrusco or Spanish Grenache. Both are light-bodied enough to not overpower this dish, and their ripe, juicy flavors, make a great match for this rich, cheesy dish.
More pasta recipes
- Roasted Fennel Pasta with Ricotta
- Squid Ink Pasta with Shrimp & Cherry Tomatoes
- Pea & Bacon Pasta
- Penne Alla Vodka
- Easy Lemon Pasta
More pumpkin recipes
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage & Sage
- Pumpkin Risotto with Goat Cheese
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
- Pumpkin Chili
Did you try this pumpkin mac and cheese recipe?
If you loved this pumpkin mac n cheese I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Easy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound pasta shells ( or macaroni)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Salt (to taste)
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese (grated )
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped chives (for serving)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until just shy of al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add evaporated milk and bring to a simmer. Whisk in pumpkin, mustard, and nutmeg. Add the cheeses and stir until melted. Season with salt.
- Add pasta to the sauce and stir until coated, adding some of the pasta cooking water if the sauce is too thick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve immediately, topped with chives if desired.
This pumpkin macaroni and cheese post was originally published in 2019. It was updated in 2023 to add new information. The pumpkin mac n cheese recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Check out the web story here.