Slow Cooker Lamb Curry is a hearty meal that’s easy to prepare & delicious. This easy lamb curry recipe results in fall apart tender meat that’s perfectly spiced.
Now that Fall is here, I’m all about bringing out the slow cooker and making hearty dishes that warm you up. Enter this Indian Lamb Curry.
This Easy Lamb Curry is rich, tangy, and all around delicious.
How to Make Slow Cooker Lamb Curry Extra Delicious:
- Serve it over basmati rice to soak up all that delicious sauce.
- Add a dollop of yogurt to make it extra creamy.
- Bonus points if you eat it in your PJs on the sofa with a good glass of wine.
What is the Best Lamb to Use for Curry?
- I like to use bone-in lamb in this recipe. The bones add loads of flavor and at the end of the cook time, the meat will be falling off the bone, so you can easily pick them out of your curry. However, you can also use boneless cuts of lamb if you prefer.
Regardless of whether you’re using bone-in or boneless lamb, you should be sure to look for flavorful cuts of lamb like lamb shoulder or lamb shanks.
I find that I get the most flavor with American Lamb. And here’s why I choose it over lamb from Australia or New Zealand:
- By choosing American Lamb, you’re supporting local farmers throughout America.
- American Lamb is up to 10,000 miles fresher than imported lamb.
- Sheep improve pasture quality by recycling important nutrients back into the soil, minimizing erosion and encouraging plant growth.
- Raising lamb in the U.S. is a family affair with more than 80,000 family owned operations.
- The majority of sheep in the states graze pastures for most of their lives.
How to Make Slow Cooker Lamb Curry
- Brown the lamb in a large skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. This adds lots of extra flavor.
- Brown onions, garlic and curry powder in the same skillet and then add to the slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Stir in greek yogurt and serve.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Lamb Curry
- If you’re short on time, you can skip browning the lamb, onions, and garlic, but it does add a lot of flavor to this dish.
- You can add potatoes, cauliflower, peas or green beans to this curry. Simply add cubed potatoes, chopped cauliflower or frozen green beans to this curry recipe. Add potatoes or cauliflower to the crockpot during the last 45 minutes of cook time. Or, add frozen green beans or peas to the crockpot during the last 15 minutes of cook time.
- If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can also make this easy Lamb Curry on the stove or in an Instant Pot.
Lamb Curry in the Instant Pot
Brown the lamb using the SAUTE function of your Instant Pot. Set aside. Add onions, garlic and curry and saute for 3-5 minutes longer. Return lamb to Instant Pot along with remaining ingredients (except yogurt) and cook on manual HIGH pressure for 60 minutes. Stir in yogurt and serve.
Lamb Curry on the Stove
Brown the lamb in a large dutch oven or skillet. Set aside. Add onions, garlic and curry and saute for 3-5 minutes longer. Return lamb to skillet along with remaining ingredients (except yogurt). Bring to a simmer and cook 45 minutes – 1 hour until lamb is tender. Stir in yogurt and serve.
This Indian Lamb Curry will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days. It’s flavors will continue to develop over time. You can also freeze this curry for up to three months.
What To Serve With Curry
- Naan bread
- Basmati rice
- Fresh tomatoes & cucumbers
Lamb Curry with Coconut Milk
If you’d like to make this lamb curry dairy-free, simply substitute coconut milk for the yogurt. Stir 1/2 full fat coconut milk into the cooked lamb and turn the temperature of the slow cooker to HIGH, allow to simmer for 30 minutes before serving.
Indian Food Recipes:
- Curry Chicken Skewers with Lime
- Butternut Squash Curry
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken + VIDEO
- Instant Pot Dal with Split Peas
- Potato Vindaloo
- Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Basil Tahini Sauce
- Broiled Lamb Chops with Mint Mustard Sauce
- Sheet Pan Lamb Dinner
- Grilled Rack of Lamb with Pistachio Basil Pesto
- Grilled Lamb Chops with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Instant Pot Pasta with Lamb & Mint
Wine with Lamb Curry:
- Dry Riesling is a great match for this dish. It’s hint of sweetness will tame down the heat while its acidity stands up to the bold blend of spices.
- Gewurztraminer is another lightly sweet wine that will pair well with curry.
- Grenache is a great red wine option for this dish.
Lamb Curry Recipe Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Lamb Curry
- 3 pounds bone-in (or 2 pounds boneless, American lamb stew meat, lamb shanks, and/or lamb shoulder steaks)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup bone broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Juice of lemon
- Basmati rice
- Tomatoes and Cucumbers
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high. Once hot, add the lamb and brown on all sides, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan. Place in slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic and curry powder to the skillet and cook until onions have softened, 3-4 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients (except yogurto slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Stir in yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with basmati rice, yogurt and cilantro, if desired.