Indian Butternut Squash Curry is a delicious vegan curry simmered with fragrant spices and rich coconut milk.
This squash curry is a recipe that I make on the regular. I like that the ingredients are easy to find in the local grocery store and the fact that it’s a healthy and quick weeknight dinner option. Not only is it a vegetarian dinner that’s perfect for Meatless Monday but it’s also vegan and totally healthy.
Plus, this delicious vegan curry will be on your dinner table in 45-minutes.
I like to use light coconut milk in this recipe to cut down on calories. Plus, I find that the butternut squash is rich and creamy on its own, meaning that we don’t need the full fat coconut milk to add more body and silkiness to the dish. Coconut milk is sold in cans and you’ll find it in the Asian foods section of your grocery store.
How To Make Butternut Squash Curry
- Cook squash until slightly softened.
- Add ginger, garlic and additional spices.
- Add celery and shallots.
- Add coconut milk and simmer.
Can you Freeze Butternut Squash Curry?
You can freeze this curry. The texture of the coconut milk may turn a bit grainy after thawing, but the amazing flavor will remain the same. Store tightly covered in the freezer for up to three months.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Curry
Vegan Butternut Squash Curry Recipe
Indian Butternut Squash Curry
This Indian Butternut Squash Curry is a delicious vegetarian squash curry simmered with fragrant spices and rich coconut milk.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pounds butternut squash peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 2-inch piece ginger peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups light coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts for garnish
- Rice for serving
In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes, or until slightly softened.
To the skillet add garlic, ginger and spices. Cook, about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add shallot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add the coconut milk to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened. (Be careful not to boil, as the coconut milk may separate.) Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve curry on top of rice, topped with chopped cilantro and peanuts.
This recipe was originally published in December 2016. It was updated in May 2019 to add new content and photographs. The original curry recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Wine Pairings with Curry:
- Dry Riesling is a great match for this squash curry. It’s hint of sweetness will tame down the heat while its acidity stands up to the bold blend of spices.
- Gewurztraminer is another lightly sweet wine that pairs nicely with this dish.
More Curry Recipes:
- Curry Chicken Skewers with Lime
- Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup