Indian Butternut Squash Curry is a delicious vegetarian squash curry simmered with fragrant spices and rich coconut milk.
Confession: I’ve developed a bit of an obsession with meal delivery services. It’s just so much more easy to drive home after work and have a box of groceries waiting for you, rather than going to the grocery store, standing in line, unloading the car, and then cooking. Obviously I LOVE to cook – I don’t, however, have a grocery shopping obsession. I fit the grocery store in when I can, usually heading there on my lunch break and picking up what I need for that night’s dinner.
This is why I love Blue Apron! They deliver to your house all the ingredients you need to prepare and you just get to do the fun part – Cook their delicious recipes. Here are some of the highlights:
- Blue Apron recipes feature seasonal, unique ingredients that are hard to find at your typical grocery store.
- They offer flexible plans. The classic 2 person plan will set you up to receive one delivery a
- Each menu is between 500 and 700 calories per person. The ingredients are incredibly fresh and sourced from small family farms and artisans.
- Most meals can be prepared in 35 minutes or less.
My last box arrived with the ingredients to make this amazing Butternut Squash Curry. Perfect for Meatless Monday.
This Butternut Squash Curry is definitely a recipe that I will continue to make on my own, even without the help of Blue Apron delivering the ingredients to my front door. I like that the ingredients are easy to find in the local grocery store and the fact that it’s a healthy and quick weeknight dinner option.
You can always win me over with a spicy, fragrant dish that’s served over a steaming bowl of rice. Bonus points if you give me a glass of Riesling to sip on the side!
Butternut Squash Curry Recipe
Indian Butternut Squash Curry
This Indian Butternut Squash Curry is a delicious vegetarian squash curry simmered with fragrant spices and rich coconut milk.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pounds butternut squash peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 2-inch piece ginger peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rice for serving
In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes, or until slightly softened.
To the skillet add garlic, ginger and spices. Cook, about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add shallot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add the coconut milk to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened. (Be careful not to boil, as the coconut milk may separate.) Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve curry on top of rice, topped with chopped cilantro.
Wine Pairings for Butternut Squash Curry:
- Dry Riesling is a great match for this squash curry. It’s hint of sweetness will tame down the heat while its acidity stands up to the bold blend of spices.
- Gewurztraminer is another lightly sweet wine that pairs nicely with this dish.
Looking for more curry recipes? Be sure to try these too:
- Curry Chicken Skewers with Lime
- Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup