This 10-Minute Guacamole Salad with Chickpeas has all the traditional elements of a great guacamole and makes a healthy, protein and fiber-filled dish that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
When I make a bowl of guacamole the chips are optional. I could eat it by the spoonful. Same thing with salsa… I’m only a “carb-person” when it comes to pasta – I could take or leave the chips, bread, the potatoes and the rice.
Salsa without the chips? You could almost consider that a salad of sorts… But, the guac? That’s kind of gross, right? (Not to me, but…) In an effort to make my habit of eating guacamole by the spoonful more socially acceptable, I turned it into a salad. An absolutely amazing, creamy, tangy, spicy salad that I’ll eat any day of the week. I mean, it’s seriously SO good.
I’m using all the traditional ingredients that go into a great guacamole – Plenty of avocado, fresh squeezed lime juice, cumin, jalapenos, cilantro – And then I’m turning it into an eat-by-the-huge-spoonful, make-your-coworkers-jealous salad by adding chickpeas and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. Seriously – Lunch just got a whole lot more exciting.
Another bonus? This healthy salad comes together in just short of ten minutes. It’s a quick way to add some protein, fiber and healthy fats to your diet. Plus, it will keep you full and energized throughout your busy day.
Quick note on the cotija: Cotija is a Mexican cheese that crumbles easily and has a nice tang to it. Look for it in your local market next to the packaged cheeses. If you can’t find it, feel free to substitute feta in its place – It’ll be equally as delicious!
Guacamole Salad Recipe
10-Minute Chickpea Guacamole Salad
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne if desired
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese or feta
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Add chickpeas, avocado and shallot to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine kosher salt, cumin and cayenne. Stir to combine. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the chickpeas and avocado and add lime juice and jalapenos. Stir gently to combine.
- Top with cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve.
Wine Pairings for Guacamole Salad:
- Look for white wines with grassy, herbal notes – Try a Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, or dry Riesling.
Looking for more ways to get your guacamole fix? Try these Quinoa Taco Bowls with Guacamole.