Instant Pot Chickpeas couldn’t be easier. This simple & quick method for cooking dried garbanzo beans in the pressure cooker (without no soaking) requires less than an hour. Plus, they taste so much better than canned!
I’m constantly cooking with chickpeas. Sometimes I’m even not cooking with chickpeas.
Meaning that sometimes I’ll even open up some canned chickpeas, drizzle on some Italian dressing, and call it lunch…
In today’s modern world, with the Instant Pot revolution upon us, I thought why not upgrade my routine a bit and try my hand at making chickpeas in the pressure cooker?
Try and try I did, and I finally developed a recipe to make ⭐️perfect⭐️ chickpeas in the Instant Pot.
- Dried Chickpeas
- Kosher Salt
- Water – Or, use instant pot bone broth or chicken stock to add even more flavor!
How to Cook Chickpeas in the Instant Pot
- Add dried beans and salt to the pot. Cover with water (or stock for even more flavor) by 1-inch.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
Chickpeas take 40 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. However, you also need to account for the time it takes for the pressure to build and release in the pressure cooker. For this recipe, it will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build, and 20 minutes for the pressure to release. That’s a total time of 75 minutes.
When using the Instant Pot, you do not need to presoak the garbanzo beans. Meaning you can whip up a batch of these beans last minute.
How to Make Ahead & Store
- Refrigerator: Store cooked chickpeas in a sealed container with a bit of their cooking liquid. They will keep for up to four days.
- Freezer: Store flat in ziploc bags for up to six months. I like to freeze them in 1 1/2 cup portions, which is equivalent to a 15-ounce can. Perfect for using in recipes!
Ways to Use Chickpeas
Here are some chickpea recipes to try out!
- Hummus! – Try this Harissa Hummus, Macadamia Nut Hummus or Hummus with Whipped Feta and Chili Oil
- Farro Salad with Basil Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Sweet Potato & Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Indian Butter Chickpeas
- Mediterranean Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Fennel and Chickpea Salad
- Guacamole Salad with Chickpeas
- Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas
- More → 37+ Chickpea Recipes
More Instant Pot Bean & Legume Recipes:
- Instant Pot Red Beans & Rice
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Lentils
Did you try these no soak instant pot garbanzo beans?
If you loved these no soak instant pot chickpeas, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Instant Pot Chickpeas (No Soaking)
- 1 pound dry chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- About 6 cups water or chicken stock
- Add chickpeas and salt to Instant Pot and cover with water (or stock) by 1-inch, about 6 cups.
- Put lid on pot, and lock into place. Set valve to sealing.
- Cook on MANUAL (or pressure coohigh pressure for 40 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build, then the countdown timer will begin.
- Allow pressure to naturally release 20 minutes before releasing remaining pressure.
- Allow to cool and store.
Check out the web story here.
This post was originally published in 2019. It was updated in 2023 to add new information. The no soak instant pot chickpeas recipe remains the same. Enjoy!