Macadamia Nut Hummus puts a Hawaiian spin on the traditional chickpea spread– rich, creamy, tangy and perfect for slathering on sandwiches or serving as an appetizer dip with vegetables.
Yesterday I shared with you a recap of our recent trip to the Big Island, Hawaii. We took lots of amazing hikes, saw some spectacular views, and ate lots and lots of great, local food – Plate lunches, loco moco, poke, and this, Macadamia Nut Hummus.
All of our meals in Hawaii were amazing, most were more low key, but on this particular night, we dined at Brown’s Beach House, located beachside at our resort, The Fairmont Orchid. Live ukulele music played in the background, the ocean was our backdrop, and a cool breeze was in the air. We decided to just share several dishes, so that we could try a lot of the menu offerings. We started off with the Macadamia Nut Hummus, then went on to a Roasted Hearts of Palm Salad, Hawaii Island Beets, and Big Eye Tuna with Sea Vegetables and a Wasabi Potato Puree. It was all fantastic…
Although I wish that I could recreate each and every dish from that meal and bring it back home, unfortunately our lack of access to those amazing local ingredients makes it tough. I did, however, feel confident that I could master that hummus and make it part of our regular rotation, even back in rainy Oregon.
This hummus tastes very similar to traditional Greek hummus, but it’s got just a hint of a little something extra. It’s still got the zesty garlic, bright lemon juice, and the creamy chickpeas. But, the macadamia nuts give it an extra depth of flavor and a slightly sweet taste. For photography purposes, I sprinkled a bit of chopped up macadamia nuts on top of the hummus, but if you’d prefer your hummus creamy (as I do), I would just leave them off – You’ll still have plenty of that rich, nutty flavor in there.
I promise, if you fix a Mai Tai, pull up some ukulele music on Spotify, and crank the heat up to 78 degrees, you’ll be close to feeling like you’re in Hawaii even in the dead of winter. It’s definitely worth a try… Or, at least this hummus is.
Macadamia Nut Hummus Ingredients
You only need 5-ingredients to make this Macadamia Nut Hummus:
- Canned Chickpeas
- Lemon Juice
- Macadamia Nuts
If you loved this Macadamia Nut Hummus I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings with Hummus:
- Try a Sauvignon Blanc or Rosé (here are some great ones under $10) with this creamy dip. Both wines have a bright acidity that will play nicely with the nutty hummus.
- Mediterranean Nachos with Hummus
- Harissa Hummus
- Avocado & Kale Savory Oatmeal
- Air Fryer Falafel (Easy + Crispy)
- Toasted Ravioli (Air Fryer or Oven)
- Pan Con Tomate Recipe (Pa Amb Tomàquet)
- Steak Bites with Garlic Butter & Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Tahini Yogurt Sauce // 5 Minute Recipe
- Baked Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip (3-Ingredient!)
Macadamia Nut Hummus Recipe
Macadamia Nut Hummus
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups canned chickpeas (drained (reserve the liquid))
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chickpea liquid (or water)
- ½ cup roasted macadamia nuts
- Turn on the blender and toss in the garlic through the lid. Process until minced.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
- Serve at room temperature, or chilled.