Air Fryer Falafel cook up light, fluffy and deliciously crispy. Serve them with hummus and pita or top a salad with them and drizzle on a tahini dressing.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today. First, because it’s perfect for Meatless Monday. But second, in this crazy time that we’re living in, these falafel are perfect because they’re affordable, they can be made with mostly shelf stable ingredients, and they can be made ahead of time and popped into the freezer, making meal prep super easy.
Air Fryer Falafel Ingredients:
- Serrano or Jalapeno Pepper
- Sesame Seeds
- Baking Powder
How to Make Air Fryer Falafel
- Soak. Soak chickpeas in water overnight. Canned chickpeas do not hold together well in this recipe.
- Process. Process soaked chickpeas with onion, herbs and spices. Then add in flour and baking soda until a coarse texture forms.
- Rest. Rest this mixture at least an hour in the fridge to allow it to firm up. Making it easier to form the falafel balls.
- Form. Using your hands, or a cookie scoop, form falafel into golf ball sized balls.
- Air Fry. Air fry at 380-degrees for 15 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
How To Air Fry Falafel:
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and place the falafel inside, leaving space between them (depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches). Cook until crispy and golden brown.
How Long to Air Fry Falafel:
- Air fry falafel at 380-degrees for 15 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
How to Bake Falafel in the Oven:
- If you don’t own an air fryer, you can bake the falafel at 375-degrees until crispy and golden brown, about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
How to Reheat Falafel:
- Reheat in a 325-degree air fryer or oven, until warmed through, about 15 minutes.
How to Freeze Falafel:
- Place uncooked, formed falafel balls on a cookie sheet and freeze until firm. Then place in a large freezer-safe bag or container. They will last in the freezer for about 3 months. When ready to use, defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
How to Serve Falafel:
- On a salad (I love it with this lemon tahini dressing)
- As a wrap
- Stuffed in a pita with hummus
- As a bowl with quinoa and pickled onions
What to Serve with Falafel:
Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Green Bean Fries
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Buffalo Sauce
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries with Dipping Sauce
Falafel Wine Pairings:
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Chenin Blanc
If you loved this Air Fryer Falafel recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
Air Fryer Falafel Recipe
Air Fryer Falafel Recipe
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup onion (roughly chopped)
- ¾ cup parsley (roughly chopped)
- ¾ cup cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper (rough chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 tablespoons chickpea flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil spray
- Green sauce (hummus, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber, thinly sliced red onion, pita, tahini, etc)
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with at least 2 inches water. Soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add them to a food processor. Add onion, parsley, cilantro, pepper, garlic, sesame seeds, cumin and salt and process until it’s the texture of couscous.
- Sprinkle in the 4 Tablespoons flour and baking powder, and pulse, adding additional flour if needed so that you can form the mixture into a ball without it sticking to your hands.
- Place in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the mixture to firm up.
- Using your hands, or a cookie scoop, form falafel into golf ball sized balls.
- Preheat air fryer 380 degrees. Spray the basket with oil and place the falafel inside, leaving space between them (depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches). Coat the falafel with additional oil spray.
- Cook 15 minutes, until golden brown, flipping over halfway through.