This creamy Tahini Yogurt Sauce will quickly become your new favorite quick & easy go to. Drizzle it over grilled salmon, serve it with lamb kebabs or shawarma, or use it as a yogurt dip for veggies.
A Middle Eastern Yogurt Sauce that comes together in 5-minutes, is super versatile, and can be dressed up with your favorite herbs & spices? Yes, please!
What is Tahini Yogurt Sauce?
When I came up with this recipe, I literally just started pulling out all my favorite ingredients from my spice drawer and cupboards. I knew that the base would be a mixture of greek yogurt and tahini, that I’d give a bit of a tang with either vinegar or lemon juice And then I knew that I wanted to incorporate my favorite spice, cumin, with a bit of heat (coming from some chipotle chili powder), and a pop of color, which came from those pomegranate seeds and a sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley.
What I didn’t realize was how obsessed I would be with it.
It was salty, tangy, creamy, smoky. I instantly wanted it on everything.
That first day, I used it as a dip served with radishes, cucumber and a bit of torn pita bread. And then I used a bit of restraint. I set it aside so that I could test it out the next day, drizzled over some grilled salmon. Amazing.
Now I’ve been dreaming up in my head all the ways I want to use this Tahini Yogurt Sauce:
- Greek Yogurt Dip for Veggies
- Yogurt Sauce for Kebabs
- Tossed with Cooked Rice
- Middle Eastern Yogurt Sauce for Shawarma
- Yogurt Sauce for Lamb
- Combined with Warm Pasta
- As a Sauce for Falafel
And today I’m going to show you just how easy this Middle Eastern Yogurt Sauce is to prepare, and how flexible this recipe can be.
How to Make Yogurt Sauce
- Combine greek yogurt with tahini and some sort of acid (I used lemon juice. You can also use vinegar or lime juice).
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to add extra richness and flavor.
- Sprinkle on your favorite herbs, seeds, nuts, etc.
To dress up my Yogurt Dip I sprinkled on some toasted cumin seeds, chipotle chili powder, pomegranate seeds and chopped fresh parsley.
Here are some other great topping ideas and mix-ins for your sauce:
- Sesame Seeds
- Toasted Pine Nuts
- Grated Garlic
- Calabrian Chiles
- Mustard Seeds
- Grated Cucumber
Can You Make Yogurt Sauce Ahead of Time?
- This yogurt sauce can be prepared up to one day ahead of time.
• Prosciutto Wrapped Avocado Bites
• Short Rib Crostini with Cambozola Cheese and Cherry Jam
• Prosciutto, Brie & Honey Crostini
• Fennel & Salami Bites
• Filet Mignon Bites with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
If you loved this Yogurt Sauce recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Middle Eastern Yogurt Sauce Recipe
Tahini Yogurt SaucePrint
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons Tahini
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine yogurt, tahini and lemon juice in a large bowl.
Top with pomegranate seeds, fresh parsley, cumin seeds and chili powder. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve.
Will keep in the refrigerator for one day.