These Smashed Brussel Sprouts are flattened so that they become extra crispy when roasted in the oven. Drizzled with the most amazing Lemon Tahini Sauce.
I’ve long been obsessed with my crispy smashed potatoes. They remind me a little bit of latkes, without all the work. All you need to do is – boil, smash, bake. Then you’re left with perfectly crispy potatoes that are perfect for topping with your favorite sauce. I love them with my mojo sauce, but they’d also be so great topped with this yumm sauce.
Today, I thought it was time to change things up a bit with these Smashed Brussel Sprouts.
I’m taking that same concept of boiling the brussels sprouts until they’re just tender, then flattening them and baking them in the oven until they’re perfectly golden and crispy. And, just like with my smashed potatoes, I’m making a sauce to drizzle over these roasted brussels sprouts – lemon tahini.
How to Smash Brussels Sprouts
- Trim just a little bit off the root end. A few leaves will fall of, but that’s ok. You can save them to make brussels sprouts chips.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes until tender. This will depend on how big your brussels sprouts are.
- Drain and cool in an ice bath.
- Flatten the brussels sprouts to 1/2″ thickness using a clean dish towel.I like to sandwich my sprouts between the towel and press down on the kitchen counter. This helps to ensure that any excess liquid is removed, ensuring that your brussels sprouts will roast up extra crispy and golden.
- Roast in a 450-degree oven for 30 minutes.
These Smashed Brussels Sprouts are delicious served on their own, sprinkled with a bit of flaky sea salt. But, to take things over the top, I like to drizzle on a lemon tahini sauce that’s laced with basil and garlic. So super yummy!
The lemon tahini sauce is actually a variation of this basil tahini sauce that I used in this Roasted Broccoli with Garlic & Basil Tahini Sauce recipe. I also used a similar tahini dressing in this Farro Salad. I just can’t get enough of it. I hope you’ll love it too!!!
Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Sesame seeds (for sprinkling )
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup basil loosely packed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Trim the root ends of the brussels sprouts and discard any loose leaves (or save them to make brussels sprouts chips).
- Once water is boiling, add brussels sprouts and cook 10-15 minutes, until tender. Drain and add to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain.
- Using a clean dish towel, flatten the cooled brussels sprouts to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until crisp and deep brown around the edges, about 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon tahini sauce.
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- In a high powered blender, combine all ingredients.
- Blend on high until you have a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Add up to ¼ cup more water (blending again to incorporate) until you get the thickness you like. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
If you loved these Smashed Brussels Sprouts I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More Side Dish Recipes: