This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples & Pecans is tossed in a light maple vinaigrette and makes a delicious, crunchy side dish.
This brussels sprout salad recipe is a bit of a riff on my original Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Parmesan & Mustard Vinaigrette.
This one’s real pretty.
Gussied up with some thin-sliced apples and a sprinkling of pecans. And, because it’s Fall, there’s a little maple syrup in there too…
Raw sprouts can seem like a bit of an odd thing… You would never think of serving raw Brussels sprouts on a crudité platter along with some dip. But, much like kale, which can be a bit tough and bitter in its raw state, if the sprouts are sliced thinly enough, and then left to meld with some vinaigrette for a while, they take on a softer, more delicate flavor, but still with a nice bite.
This has quickly become one of my favorite Fall salad recipes, rivaled only by this Fennel & Celery Salad and this Arugula Salad. It’s tangy, with a good bite from the mustard, and a bit salty and nutty at the end with the finishing of parmesan cheese.
I also love that these shaved brussel sprouts can sit for a bit – meaning that it’s a great salad for easy dinner parties and holiday gatherings. The flavors will only continue to combine and the brussels sprouts won’t lose their wonderful texture.
So, this salad would be the perfect companion to a Thanksgiving dinner.
🛒 Ingredients Needed
- Brussels Sprouts – Some stores sell pre-shredded brussel sprouts which would be a perfect timesaver for this recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Or, swap in red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, rice vinegar, or champagne vinegar.
- Whole Grain Mustard – I like the “pop” of the whole mustard seeds. But you can also use dijon or brown mustard.
- Maple Syrup – This can be replaced with honey or a little sugar.
- Olive oil
- Parmesan Cheese – Pecorino Romano or Manchego are other great cheese options.
- Apple – I prefer honey crisp or pink lady apples. However, any sweet-tart apples will work well.
- Pecans – Or swap in walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or toasted pine nuts.
🔪 How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts
There are three options for making shredded brussels sprouts:
- Holding onto the stem end of the brussels sprout, use a sharp knife to thinly slice them.
- Use a mandolin to make thin slices of brussels sprouts.
- Use the slicing blade of your food processor to make thin ribbons. (This is my preferred method to make shredded sprouts in a hurry.)
- Swap out the pecans for pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, toasted pine nuts, or sunflower seeds.
- Add in some chopped crispy bacon.
- Swap out the parmesan for some creamy goat cheese, manchego, or pecorino romano.
- With its minerality and hints of stone fruit, a Dry Riesling will pop against the mustard vinaigrette on this salad.
- A light Pinot Noir with bright acidity and earthy notes will compliment the flavors in this salad nicely.
Did you try this brussels sprouts salad with apples?
If you loved this recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
🍽 What to Serve with It
Do you have a favorite brussels sprouts recipe that you fix on the regular? Let me know in the comments below!
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1 apple (thinly sliced (honey crisp, pink lady, or other tart apples))
- 1/4 cup pecans (chopped )
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Holding the stem of the Brussels sprouts, thinly slice each one until you get to within ½ inch of the stem. Discard the stems and place the sliced Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, breaking them up with your hands and discarding any tough pieces.
- Toss the sliced sprouts with the dressing until coated. Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to allow the sprouts to soften and the flavors to combine.
- Before serving, toss in the grated parmesan, apples and pecans, and taste again for seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
🍴More Brussel Sprout Recipes
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries
- Kung Pao Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Cheesy Brussel Sprout Pasta with Grainy Mustard