This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with mustard & parmesan is tossed in a light red wine vinaigrette and makes a delicious, crunchy side dish.
This recipe was originally published in 2018. It was updated in 2021 to add new photographs and information. The recipe remains unchanged. Enjoy.
A couple weeks back, I found myself with an overabundance of brussels sprouts. I’d asked Rick to pick some up at the store, so that I could make these Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries as a side dish for a prime rib holiday dinner that we were serving.
My usual recipe for those sprouts calls for three pounds. I didn’t quite remember how many Brussels sprouts that actually is, and, we were only having a small party of four for dinner that night, so I ended up cutting the recipe in half.
So… What do to with the remaining sprouts sitting the fridge? Test out some new recipes, of course!
I’d wanted to try a shaved brussel sprout salad for a while, and this seemed like to perfect opportunity…
Raw sprouts can seem like a bit of an odd thing… You would never think of serving raw Brussels sprouts on a crudité platter along with some dip. But, much like kale, which can be a bit tough and bitter in its raw state, if the sprouts are sliced thinly enough, and then left to meld with some vinaigrette for a while, they take on a softer, more delicate flavor, but still with a nice bite.
This has quickly become one of my favorite winter salad recipes, rivaled only by this Fennel & Celery Salad and this Arugula Salad. It’s tangy, with a good bite from the mustard, and a bit salty and nutty at the end with the finishing of parmesan cheese.
I also love that these shaved brussel sprouts can sit for a bit – meaning that it’s a great salad for easy dinner parties and holiday gatherings. The flavors will only continue to combine and the brussels sprouts won’t lose their wonderful texture.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad Ingredients:
- Red wine vinegar
- Whole grain mustard
- Olive oil
- Brussels sprouts
- Parmesan cheese or pecorino romano
How to make shaved brussels sprouts:
There are three options for making shredded brussels sprouts:
- Holding onto the stem end of the brussels sprout, use a sharp knife to thinly slice them.
- Use a mandolin to make thin slices of brussels sprouts.
- Use the slicing blade of your food processor to make thin ribbons. (This is my preferred method to make shredded sprouts in a hurry.)
- Use apple cider vinegar, sherry vinegar, or fresh lemon juice in place of the red wine vinegar.
- Swap in some dijon mustard in place of the whole grain.
- Use a couple teaspoons honey or maple syrup in place of the sugar.
- Add extra crunch by throwing in some thinly sliced apples, pears, nuts, toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
- Add in some chopped crispy bacon.
- Swap out the parmesan for some creamy goat cheese.
Wine pairings for shaved brussels sprouts salad:
- With its minerality and hints of stone fruit, a Dry Riesling will pop against the mustard vinaigrette on this salad.
- A light Pinot Noir with bright acidity and earthy notes will compliment the flavors in this salad nicely.
More salad recipes:
- Cherry Tomato Salad with Roasted Lemons
- Fennel Salad Recipe with Chickpeas
- Kale Caesar Salad Recipe // Vegetarian
- Cauliflower Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Quinoa
- Radicchio Salad Recipe with Olives & Parmesan
If you loved this Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me onInstagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More brussel sprout recipes:
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries
- Kung Pao Brussel Sprouts
- The BEST Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Cheesy Brussel Sprout Pasta with Grainy Mustard
- Southwest Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Bacon
- Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
What to serve with this hearty salad:
Do you have a favorite brussels sprouts recipe that you fix on the regular? Let me know in the comments below!
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Mustard and Parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard, sugar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Holding the stem of the Brussels sprouts, thinly slice each one until you get to within ½ inch of the stem. Discard the stems and place the sliced Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, breaking them up with your hands and discarding any tough pieces.
- Toss the sliced sprouts with the dressing until coated. Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to allow the sprouts to soften and the flavors to combine.
- Before serving, toss in the grated parmesan and taste again for seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if needed.