This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is deliciously rich & creamy and perfect for chilly fall days. (Vegan + Vegetarian options)
This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is all the things you would want in a perfect bowl of soup for this chilly fall season. It’s rich, creamy and spiced with all those yummy fall flavors like cinnamon, curry and cumin. I just want to cuddle up on the couch with a bowl of it…
🛒 Ingredients needed
- Butternut Squash – Look for a large squash that’s about 3 pounds.
- Apples – Any apples will work here. They lend a nice sweetness to the soup.
- Sweet Onions – Walla Walla or Vidalia onions are great. You can also use yellow onions.
- Spices – Curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Chicken Broth – Or, for a vegan + vegetarian version, swap in some vegetable broth.
- Coconut Milk – Whole fat coconut milk is best. I find that the light coconut milk curdles when added to the soup.
- Olive Oil
📋 How do you make it?
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, add the olive oil, cubed butternut squash, apples and onions.
- Saute for 10 minutes, until the squash begins to soften.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon. Saute for 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the squash is fork tender.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches, until smooth.
Slow cooker directions
- To make this curried butternut squash soup in the slow cooker, simply saute the onions in a bit of olive oil, then add them to the crockpot with all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the coconut milk.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until the squash and apples are tender.
- Add coconut milk and puree until smooth.
However you choose to make this soup, I can pretty much guarantee that you’re going to fall instantly in love with it.
- For a spicy soup, add a pinch of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or a spoonful of Thai red curry paste.
- For a tangier soup, add in a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the end.
🕕 How to make ahead and freeze
This curry butternut squash soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or, freeze it for up to 3 months.
🍽 What to serve with curried butternut squash soup
- Arugula Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples & Pecans
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Shaved Fennel and Celery Salad
- Fresh Bread
- Grilled Cheese
- MORE → 20+ EASY sides for butternut squash soup
🍷 Wine pairings
- Gewürztraminer and Riesling are great pairings for the delicate spices in this soup.
- Alternatively, a high-acid, crisp wine like Pinot Gris would work well to cut through the richness of the soup.
- A dry-sparkling wine like Cava will also work well here to help cut through the creaminess of the soup nicely but hold up to the spicy flavors of the soup.
✔️ More butternut squash recipes
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Roasted Squash Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
- Butternut Squash Curry
- Butternut Squash Bisque with Maple Cream
- Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage & Goat Cheese
🥣 More soup recipes
- Smoky Chipotle Potato Soup with Cheddar
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Fresh Dill
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Sausage & Kale
- Tomato Orange Soup
- Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Did you try this curried squash soup?
If you loved this butternut squash curry soup I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Curried Butternut Squash Soup:
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs. Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped)
- 2 apples (peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped)
- 2 medium sweet onions (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 13.66 oz. cans coconut milk
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, add olive oil, butternut squash, apples and onions. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stock and simmer for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth with either an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches.
This squash curry soup post was originally published in 2017. It was updated in 2020 to add new photographs, and again in 2023 to add new content. The original recipe remains the same. Enjoy!