This is the BEST Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! It tastes like it’s been cooking all day, but it only takes minutes in your electric pressure cooker.
I love this Chicken Tortilla Soup so much.
Mainly for the toppings!
But also because it’s one of those recipes that’s super easy to throw together at the last minute with minimal effort.
For years now, I’ve been making this Chicken Tortilla Soup in the slow cooker. But, I thought it was finally time to adapt it for the Instant Pot. There were a couple of changes that I made my recipe in order to make it work for the Instant Pot.
First, I cut back on the amount of chicken stock that I used. Because the Instant Pot is so tightly sealed, there’s less evaporation than if you were using the slow cooker. That means that we can cut down the amount of liquids used.
Second, I left out the chopped tortillas that I added in my original slow cooker recipe. In the Instant Pot, the tortillas break down a bit too much, and the soup turned out to be mushy.
And third, I used the Instant Pot to brown the onions before starting the soup under pressure. I love that the Instant Pot gives you the option to saute all in one pot, and this quick extra step really adds to the flavor of the soup. However, if you’re short on time, you can definitely skip this step and just add the raw onion along with all the ingredients to your Instant Pot. The choice is totally up to you.
What Ingredients are in Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- Chicken breasts, canned tomatoes, jarred salsa, canned beans, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper and Mexican spices give this soup its delicious flavor.
How Do I Make Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker?
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also make this Chicken Tortilla Soup in a slow cooker. The steps and ingredients are virtually the same, and you can find my recipe for slow cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup here.
What Do You Top Chicken Tortilla Soup With?
- Crunchy tortilla chips
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Sliced jalapenos
- Hot sauce
I love serving this Chicken Tortilla Soup at parties since everyone can customize their own bowl of soup. I like mine topped with sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro and shredded cheese. I like mine extra spicy, which is why I’m obsessed with Cabot’s Fiery Jack Shredded Cheese, a blend of their Hot Habanero Cheddar mixed with just the right amount of mild Monterey Jack. Not only is it spicy, but it’s got great flavor too.
Rick on the other hand is not so into the heat but he loves sharp cheddar, so he’ll normally top his with sour cream and a bit of Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Celebrating their 100th year as a co-operative in 2019, Cabot is owned by farm families throughout New England & New York and 100% of profits go back to the farmers. They’re also a certified B Corporation, which is pretty awesome in my book.
If you’d like to make this Instant Pot Tortilla Soup vegetarian-friendly, you could swap out the chicken with an extra can of black beans or some frozen corn kernels.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is the BEST Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! It tastes like it's been cooking all day, but it only takes minutes in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 4 cups bone broth or chicken stock
- 1 15- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos chopped (seeds and veins removed)
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cabot shredded cheese
- Crunchy tortilla chips
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Turn instant pot to SAUTE and add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook 3 minutes.
Hit CANCEL and add the chicken, broth, beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne. Stir to combine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Hit MANUAL to cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build then the countdown timer will begin.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Return to pot and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt. Serve, topped with desired toppings.
If you loved this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me onInstagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
I teamed up with Cabot to bring you this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
Wine Pairings for Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Look for lighter-bodied, fruit-focused reds like Beaujolais or Grenache.
- Alternatively, a Malbec or Tempranillo will be a bit heavier, but compliment the smoky-spicy flavors in this soup.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Be sure to try these too: