This easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is packed with flavor and so satisfying. With tips on how to make it with chicken thighs, chicken breasts, a whole chicken, or leftover rotisserie chicken.
Soups come out so quick & easy in the Instant Pot. So much so that I barely make any soups on the stovetop now. I’m absolutely obsessed with Instant Pot Lasagna Soup, Instant Pot Minestrone, Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup, and Instant Pot Bean Soup.
So, it was only a matter of time before I set out to mastering Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot.
Because, how do you make the easiest chicken noodle soup from scratch? Use your Instant Pot!
There were a few key requirements: I wanted it to have lots of flavor, and I wanted to provide options for using different types of noodles and different types of chicken (breasts, thighs, etc.).
So here it is for you – my comprehensive guide on how to make PERFECT Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot.
How do you make chicken noodle soup in an instant pot?
- Saute shallot, carrots and celery in the Instant Pot.
- Add spices, chicken thighs and broth.
- Seal pot and cook on MANUAL high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Bring broth to a simmer using the SAUTE function.
- Add noodles and cook about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Return chicken to pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, parsley and lemon juice.
Tips for using different types of chicken in instant pot chicken vegetable soup:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Chicken Breasts: Cook time will remain the same.
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken Noodle Soup: Increase cook time to 20 minutes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Leftover Chicken: Add 2-3 cups of cooked chicken to the pot when the noodles go in. I love to use this method when I’ve used this Easy Roasted Chicken recipe the night before.
Do you use store bought broth or just water?
- When making this soup with chicken breasts, thighs or leftover chicken I prefer to use my instant pot bone broth or chicken stock to give the soup extra flavor. However, if you are making this soup using a whole uncooked chicken, that will provide lots of great flavor and you can simply use water in this recipe, though you’ll need to season with a bit more salt at the end.
What can I add to my chicken soup to give it flavor?
- Different brands of chicken broth will have different amounts of salt. Be sure to give your soup a good seasoning at the end.
- Other spices that you can add in are garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, thyme and rosemary.
- For a creamy chicken soup, add in a good splash of heavy cream at the end.
- For a more vegetable packed soup, add in a few handfuls of spinach or kale at the end.
- For a soup with loads of umami flavor and in a splash of fish sauce and/or sesame oil.
- I serve my soup with a dollop of sour cream. It may sound strange, but it is so tasty!
Which pasta for instant pot chicken soup?
- Any pasta will work in this recipe. I used egg noodles.. But ditalini, elbow macaroni, small bow ties, shells, alphabet shapes will all work here.
Can you cook noodles in the instant pot?
- Yes! Simply heat your broth to a boil using the SAUTE function. Then add the pasta and cook until it’s tender (about 5 minutes for egg noodles).
Instant pot chicken soup with no noodles:
- You can omit the pasta for a low carb chicken soup. Another great option is to add in some cauliflower to your soup when pressure cooking.
Can you freeze chicken noodle soup?
- You can definitely freeze this soup. However, the pasta will become soggy, and the soup will become thicker as the pasta will continue to soak up that liquid. To solve this, I like to prepare the soup without the pasta, then when I’m ready to serve it, I add some cooked pasta to the warm soup.
If you loved this Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Chicken noodle soup wine pairings:
- White: Chardonnay, Pinot Gris
- Red: Pinot Noir, Beaujolais
What to serve with chicken noodle soup:
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Sausage & Kale
- Instant Pot Persian Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Pho
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Bean Soup with Pesto
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot (minced)
- 3 medium carrots (sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ pounds boneless (skinless chicken thighs)
- 4 cups chicken broth (32-ounce box)
- 2 cups water
- Parmesan rind (optional)
- 6 ounces egg noodles (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Sour cream (to serve)
- Press SAUTE and add olive oil to Instant Pot. Once hot, add shallot, carrot and celery. Saute 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Hit CANCEL.
- Add oregano, basil, bay leaf, chicken, broth, water and parmesan rind to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Set pot to seal and cook on MANUAL high pressure for 10 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build, then the countdown timer will begin.
- When the cook time ends, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then, carefully release the remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to vent and remove the lid.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and discard the bay leaf and parmesan rind.
- Press SAUTE and bring the soup to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken using two forks. When the noodles are done cooking, return the chicken to the pot. Add parsley and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Enjoy!