This easy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup tastes just like lasagna without all the work. Your electric pressure cooker makes it super simple.
Don’t have an instant pot? This one-pot Lasagna Soup recipe is just as delicious!
Sometimes you want lasagna without all the work.
Instead of reaching for a frozen lasagna, may I suggest this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup instead?
It’s quicker than making a full-on lasagna, but it’s so much tastier than the kind you’d pick up in the freezer section.
How do you make Instant Pot Lasagna Soup?
- Start by browning up some ground beef.
- Add in some onion and garlic and let it soften.
- Then, add in lots of Italian spices, broth, and broken up lasagna noodles.
- Make sure the noodles are all submerged.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set it for 4 minutes. Let it cook away while you make the yummy cheese topping and open that bottle of wine.
I previously made this soup on my stovetop, but now that the Instant Pot has entered my life, this is definitely my preferred way of making it. With just 10 minutes of prep work and 10 minutes of cook time this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup will be on your table.
Be sure to account for the time it takes for the pressure to build and release in your pressure cooker too, which will probably be around 25 minutes. But the good part is, that part of the process is totally hands off. Which means you have some bonus time to open up that bottle of Italian red wine and have a few sips…
It also leaves you with time to mix up what may just be the best part of this lasagna soup – the creamy ricotta-mozzarella-parmesan cheese mixture that gets spooned over your warm bowls of soup. That little dollop of cheese melts into it perfectly and makes this soup so delicious and creamy. You will love it!
- For even more flavor, try swapping in some sausage for the ground beef.
- For a lightened up version, try using ground turkey.
- For vegetarian lasagna soup, use sauteed mushrooms and zucchini in place of the meat or use a meat substitute like impossible burger.
- For extra veggies, stir in some baby spinach at the end of the cook time.
How to reheat:
- This soup will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 3 months. However, the noodles will absorb some of the cooking liquids and your soup will become thick. To loosen it up, add some additional chicken stock or water. Or, you can make the soup and noodles separate, then when you are ready to serve, simply stir in your cooked noodles.
If you loved this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Lasagna Soup:
- Look for Italian red wines to pair with this lasagna soup. Chianti, Barbera, Barolo are all great picks.
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Sausage & Kale
- Instant Pot Persian Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Pho
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Bean Soup with Pesto
More lasagna recipes:
What to serve with Lasagna Soup:
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups bone broth (or chicken or beef broth)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 pieces lasagna noodles (broken into bite size pieces (6.5 oz))
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (plus more for garnish)
- Turn Instant Pot on to SAUTE and add olive oil.
- Once hot, add beef, basil, oregano, fennel, thyme and sugar and season with salt and pepper, and brown the meat, using a wooden spoon to break it apart.
- Once browned, add the onion and garlic, and cook until onion is translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Hit CANCEL.
- Add broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Break noodles into pieces, add them to the Instant Pot and push them under the broth so they are submerged.
- Put lid on pot, and lock into place. Set valve to sealing.
- Cook on manual (or pressure cook) high pressure for 4 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build, then the countdown timer will begin.
- After 4 minutes, let Instant Pot natural release for 10 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Open the pot and stir everything together
- Taste and adjust the flavor if needed with additional salt or pepper.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with 1- 2 tbsps ricotta cheese mixture, a sprinkle of mozzarella, and fresh basil.
- In a small bowl, combine mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, and parsley. Season with salt, to taste.
This recipe was originally published in October 2018. It was updated in December 2019 to add an instructional video and updated photographs. The original recipe remains the same. Enjoy!