This creamy Lasagna Soup recipe tastes just like lasagna without all the work. This easy beef & noodle tomato soup cooks in one pot and is served topped with a creamy ricotta cheese mixture that melts deliciously into it.
Want to make this soup even faster? Give my Instant Pot Lasagna Soup a try.
As we all know, lasagna can be a very time consuming dish.
I’ve got a great lasagna recipe that layers the noodles with a béchamel sauce and a bolognese sauce. It’s amazingly good, but I very rarely ever make it because it makes a ton and it takes a ton of time to make!
With just the two of us around the house, lasagna has resigned itself to being for special occasions when we’ve got a big group at the house.
This lazy lasagna soup fits the bill for when you want lasagna and you’re in a time crunch. Or, for when you don’t want a massive amount of lasagna sitting around in your fridge for a week.
What is Lasagna Soup?
- Lasagna soup is like a deconstructed piece of lasagna in a bowl, with a little extra broth it there. It’s amazingly delicious and it tastes just like your favorite lasagna.
Don’t forget about the cheese!
The best part of this one pot lasagna soup may be the fact that it’s topped with a mixture of creamy ricotta, mozzarella & parmesan. That little dollop of cheese melts into your hot soup and gives it such a richness and extra layer of flavors. You will love it!
The second best part of this soup may how easy it is! Everything cooks in one pot, with no assembly. Meaning minimal cleanup and effort on your end.
Meaning more time for drinking wine….
How do you make Lasagna Soup?
- Start by browning up some ground beef.
- Add in some onion and garlic and let it soften.
- Then, add in lots of Italian spices, broth, and broken up lasagna noodles.
- Let it all simmer together while you make the yummy cheese topping and open a bottle of wine.
That’s it – Super simple.
PS – Want an even easier and quicker way to make this yummy soup? Be sure to try my Instant Pot Lasagna Soup recipe too!
What kind of pasta should I use for lasagna soup?
- I like to use broken lasagna noodles for this recipe, but you can use whatever noodles you have on hand. Shells, rotini pasta, bowties and penne are some other great options.
- For even more flavor, try swapping in some sausage for the ground beef.
- For a lightened up version, try using ground turkey.
- For vegetarian lasagna soup, use sauteed mushrooms and zucchini in place of the meat or use a meat substitute like impossible burger.
- For extra veggies, stir in some baby spinach at the end of the cook time.
Can you make Lasagna Soup in the crock pot?
- Yes! To make slow cooker lasagna soup, begin by browning the ground beef. Then add it to a slow cooker along with the all the remaining ingredients, except the lasagna noodles. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 7-8 hours or HIGH heat for 5-6 hours. Uncover and stir in pasta; cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until tender; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
How to reheat:
- This soup will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 3 months. However, the noodles will absorb some of the cooking liquids and your soup will become thick. To loosen it up, add some additional chicken stock or water. Or, you can make the soup and noodles separate, then when you are ready to serve, simply stir in your cooked noodles.
Wine Pairings for Lasagna:
- Italian red wines – Chianti, Barbera, Barolo are all great picks.
If you loved this Lasagna Soup I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More soup recipes:
- Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Sausage & Kale
- Tomato Bisque Soup
- Potato Cheese Soup with Smoky Chipotle
- Avgolemono Soup (Lemon Chicken Soup with Dill)
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup (with Stovetop Instructions)
More lasagna recipes:
What to serve with Lasagna Soup:
One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 5 cups bone broth (or low-sodium chicken broth or beef broth)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 lasagna noodles (broken into bite size pieces (6.5 oz))
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Ricotta Cheese Topping
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (plus more for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add beef, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, fennel seeds, thyme, sugar, lasagna noodles, and season with salt and pepper. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta and parsley.
- Ladle soup into bowls, dollop with a large scoop of the ricotta cheese mixture and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Note: This recipe was originally published in December 2014. It was updated in December 2020 to update the photographs and content, the Lasagna Soup recipe remains the same.