This creamy One Pot Lasagna Soup recipe tastes just like lasagna without all the work. This easy beef & noodle tomato soup cooks in one pot and is served topped with a creamy ricotta cheese mixture that melts deliciously into it.
As we all know, lasagna can be a very time consuming dish.
I’ve got a great lasagna recipe that layers the noodles with a béchamel sauce and a bolognese sauce. It’s amazingly good, but I very rarely ever make it because it makes a ton and it takes a ton of time to make!
With just the two of us around the house, lasagna has resigned itself to being for special occasions when we’ve got a big group at the house.
This lazy lasagna soup fits the bill for when you want all the comfort of lasagna but you’re in a time crunch. Or, for when you don’t want a massive amount of lasagna sitting around in your fridge for a week.
🌟 What is lasagna soup?
- Lasagna soup is like a deconstructed piece of lasagna in a bowl, with a little extra broth it there. It’s amazingly delicious and it tastes just like your favorite lasagna.
Don’t forget about the cheese!
The best part of this one pot lasagna soup may be the fact that it’s topped with a mixture of creamy ricotta, mozzarella & parmesan. That little dollop of cheese melts into your hot soup and gives it such a richness and extra layer of flavors. You will love it!
The second best part of this soup may how easy it is! Everything cooks in one pot, with no assembly. Meaning minimal cleanup and effort on your end.
Meaning more time for drinking wine….
🛒 Ingredients needed
- Ground beef – I like to use lean ground beef. You can also use Italian sausage, ground pork, or ground turkey.
- Olive Oil
- Dried Herbs – Basil, oregano, fennel seeds, dried thyme. Or, swap in some Italian seasoning.
- Sugar – A pinch adds a little sweetness to this soup.
- Onion + Garlic
- Bone broth – Or chicken broth, vegetable broth or beef broth.
- Canned Tomatoes – I prefer to use petite diced tomatoes.
- Tomato Paste – Adds that cooked all day flavor!
- Lasagna Noodles – Broken into bite size pieces.
- Salt + Pepper
- For the Ricotta Topping – Mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta, and fresh parsley.
📋 How do you make lasagna soup in one pot?
- Start by browning up some ground beef.
- Add in some onion and garlic and let it soften.
- Then, add in lots of Italian spices, broth, and broken up lasagna noodles.
- Let it all simmer together while you make the yummy cheese topping and open a bottle of wine.
That’s it – Super simple.
PS – Want an even easier and quicker way to make this yummy soup? Be sure to try my Instant Pot Lasagna Soup recipe too!
🍝 What kind of pasta should I use for lasagna soup?
- I like to use broken lasagna noodles for this recipe, but you can use whatever noodles you have on hand. Shells, rotini pasta, bowties and penne are some other great options.
- For even more flavor, try swapping in some sausage for the ground beef.
- For a lightened up version, try using ground turkey.
- For vegetarian lasagna soup, use sauteed mushrooms and zucchini in place of the meat or use a meat substitute like impossible burger.
- For extra veggies, stir in some baby spinach at the end of the cook time.
ℹ️ Can you make lasagna soup in a crock pot?
- Yes! To make slow cooker lasagna soup, begin by browning the ground beef on your stove top. Then add it to a slow cooker along with the all the remaining ingredients, except the lasagna noodles. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 7-8 hours or HIGH heat for 5-6 hours. Uncover and stir in pasta; cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until tender; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
🕕 How to store & reheat
- This soup will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. However, the noodles will absorb some of the cooking liquids and your soup will become thick. To loosen it up, add some additional chicken stock or water. Or, you can make the soup and noodles separate, then when you are ready to serve, simply stir in your cooked noodles.
- To reheat, heat thawed soup in the microwave or on the stove over medium heat.
🍷 Wine pairings
- Italian red wines – Chianti, Barbera, Barolo are all great picks.
🥣 More soup recipes
- Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Sausage & Kale
- Tomato Bisque Soup
- Potato Cheese Soup with Smoky Chipotle
- Avgolemono Soup (Lemon Chicken Soup with Dill)
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup (with Stovetop Instructions)
- MORE —> 35+ EASY soup recipes
🥫 More lasagna recipes
- Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- Classic Lasagna with Bechamel
- Crostini Lasagna Appetizer Recipe
- Tortellini Skillet Lasagna
🍽 What to serve with it
- Arugula Salad
- Fennel & Celery Salad
- Radicchio Salad with Olives & Parmesan
- More → Sides for Lasagna
- More → Sides for Soup
One Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 5 cups bone broth (or low-sodium chicken broth or beef broth)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 lasagna noodles (broken into bite size pieces (6.5 oz))
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add beef, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, fennel seeds, thyme, sugar, lasagna noodles, and season with salt and pepper. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta and parsley.
- Ladle soup into bowls, dollop with a large scoop of the ricotta cheese mixture and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2014. It was updated in 2023 to update the photographs and content, the Lasagna Soup recipe remains the same.