This 20-Minute Tortellini Skillet Lasagna with Sausage & Kale makes it easy to have a delicious and nutritious Italian dinner on the table in a hurry.
There’s something to be said for a meal that you can have on the table in 20 minutes. There’s even more to be said when it’s a yummy, cheesy tortellini skillet lasagna.
There are a few reasons why I think you’re going to love this Tortellini Lasagna:
- It cooks in one skillet – Meaning less time cleaning the dishes too!
- Three cheeses – Ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella – Make it extra yummy!
- There’s a heaping three cups of kale thrown in – Making this dish deceivingly nutritious.
But the best part about this dish? It’s a meal that you can prepare from start to finish in 20 minutes flat.
I love lasagna. I love making lasagna. But lasagna is definitely a labor of love. The typical version I make layers noodles with both a bechamel sauce and a meat bolognese sauce. It’ takes close to an entire afternoon to assemble and bake it. Because of this, I typically make lasagna once or twice a year – at most.
For those in between times, I needed a new way to get my fix. This is my cheater lasagna. I also make this Lasagna Soup.
How to Make Easy Skillet Lasagna
I wanted easy – So instead of layering noodles with cheese and my homemade marinara sauce, I’m using refrigerated tortellini, which are already filled with cheese, and I poured in some store-bought marinara sauce. The pasta cooks right in the sauce, absorbing all those great flavors and cooking to just the right texture.
I wanted to up the nutrition a bit, so I also added in a few big handfuls of baby kale. You could also use baby spinach if you prefer. But, I also wanted a hearty, meaty dish – So I added some Italian sausage into the mix too. If you’re a vegetarian, feel free to leave out the sausage entirely.
And, last but not least, I wanted cheesy – So, to finish things off, I topped the skillet with big dollops of ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Covering the skillet for the last five minutes of cooking time really helps that cheese to melt down into the skillet, ensuring that each and every bite you take will have some of that yummy cheesy goodness running through it.
I’ll definitely be making this skillet lasagna more than twice a year. In fact, it’s already become a dish on regular rotation at our house. Rick even said: “You could serve this dish at a restaurant!”
Do you have any dishes that you’ve tweaked to make more friendly for weeknight cooking? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
Wine Pairings for Lasagna:
- This simple dish calls for an unfussy, red wine. Try a Chianti or a young Barbera.
- Crostini Lasagna Appetizer Recipe
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- Lasagna Soup (One Pot Recipe)
If you loved this Skillet Lasagna recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Tortellini Skillet Lasagna Recipe
20-Minute Tortellini Skillet Lasagna
- 1 pound mild bulk Italian sausage
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- ½ cup water
- 20 oz cheese tortellini
- 3 cups baby kale
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large, nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Add marinara sauce and ½ cup water. Allow to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in tortellini and kale and let simmer 5 minutes.
- While the tortellini simmers, combine the cheeses, basil and oregano in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- After the tortellini has cooked 5 minutes, drop spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture over the tortellini. Without stirring, cover pan and allow to cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until cheese dollops are warmed through. Serve immediately.