This Fennel and Chickpea Salad is tossed in a light citrus vinaigrette & topped with parmesan. It’s the perfect make-ahead salad for potlucks or lunches.
You may have guessed by now that I love to cook – Coming home, chopping veggies, and stirring a simmering pot over a hot stove is my way of relaxing after a long day – Just add wine. But I also have my days where I feel like doing absolutely nothing after work – I just want to eat something simple, crawl into bed, and watch reality TV shows for hours on end. That’s when I scour around in the pantry and fridge for anything that can be thrown together in a few minutes – Last week it was a pint of Halo Top Salted Caramel Ice Cream and a bowl of popcorn (love this popcorn maker). Some nights it will be a simple bowl of pasta like this – with extra red pepper flakes. But the one easy dinner dish that I always find myself going to is the simplest of all – A can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained, and tossed with some Italian dressing – Sometimes I’ll even sprinkle on some grated parmesan cheese if I’m feeling fancy. It’s been a long time favorite of mine – even since high school.
This Fennel and Chickpea Salad was inspired by that simple two-minute chickpea dish, but it also adds some crunchy celery and fresh fennel into the mix. It’s a recipe that’s very similar to this Fennel & Celery Salad, but the chickpeas just give it a bit more substance and creaminess. The fennel gives just a hint of licorice flavor and adds a nice, crunchy bite to the salad along with the celery.
I like to make this salad for weekday lunches because, unlike a lettuce-based salad, it stays crunchy all day. It’s also perfect for potlucks because you can make it ahead of time. Or, try serving it on pizza night along with some Aperol Spritz cocktails for a true Italian-inspired night.
Fennel and Chickpea Salad
- 1 large fennel bulb very thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 celery stalks very thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Toss fennel, chickpeas, celery, and parsley with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan.
Unlike lettuce based salads, this salad retains its great crunch for a couple of days, so be sure to save any leftovers!
Wine Pairings for Fennel Salad:
- This salad would pair nicely with a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris. The green, mineral flavors make an awesome compliment to the bite of the fennel and the freshness of the celery.