This Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup is not only amazingly delicious, but it’s also packed with protein, fiber and essential vitamins and antioxidants.
Soup season is here again… and I’m in testing mode. Doing my thing to bring you the most yummy and amazing soups that will be perfect for the chilly months ahead.
And I’m starting soup season off with a bang!
Introducing – Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup.
I served Rick up a bowl of this for dinner yesterday and he said it’s one of the best soups that I’ve ever made… That’s saying a lot for a guy whose long-standing favorite soup of all time is this Potato Leek Soup.
I have to agree with him though. I’m pretty obsessed with this quinoa soup too.
This soup is made with lots of pantry staples, carrots, onions, celery, Italian seasoning, and a splash of cream.
Not only is it deliciously creamy and flavorful, but it’s a powerhouse of nutrients too. That’s because of the quinoa that makes up the base of this soup.
Is quinoa healthy?
You bet it is! Quinoa is amazing for so many reasons. Here’s a list of some of the health benefits of quinoa:
- Very high in antioxidants
- High in beneficial minerals like iron and magnesium
- Low glycemic index, which is good for controlling blood sugar
- Very high in protein and amino acids
- Gluten free
- Super high in fiber
- Loaded with vitamins
I’ve always got some quinoa on hand in the cupboard. Often I’ll swap it into recipes where rice is called for, like in these Southwestern Stuffed Peppers or these Taco Lettuce Wraps. Or, I’ll just whip up a big batch of quinoa in the Instant Pot to have on hand as a side dish or to stir into these Quinoa Breakfast Cookies.
The quinoa works so well in this soup. Not only does it give it a great texture, but it also makes it much more filling. I’ve been having a cup of this quinoa soup for lunch lately and I’ve noticed that it definitely keeps me full and energized until dinnertime.
Is quinoa low carb?
- Quinoa is not a low-carb food. But it is a great source of protein and fiber.
To even further pack this quinoa soup with beneficial nutrients, I’m using some of my homemade bone broth. It’s packed with collagen which is amazing for your joints, and can be made so easily. Take your pick of either my slow cooker bone broth or instant pot bone broth.
If you’d prefer a vegetarian soup, you can swap in vegetable stock for the chicken broth or bone broth. This soup is actually perfect for vegetarians because it’s a great meat-free meal that’s still packed with protein.
This quinoa soup is quite thick and hearty. If you’d prefer a more brothy soup, use 5 cups stock instead of 4 cups. You can also adjust the thickness at the end of the cooking process by adding in more half and half.
Does quinoa get soggy in soup?
- No. That’s the great thing about using quinoa in soup. Unlike with pasta or rice, it won’t get soggy. Making it great for leftovers.
How to store quinoa soup:
- You can store this soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to a month.
I like to serve this quinoa soup dished up in bowls, topped with plenty of grated parmesan cheese and with an extra sprinkle of red pepper flakes on top.
If you loved this Quinoa Soup recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine pairings for creamy Italian soup:
- Medium-bodied, rustic wines like Chianti, Cotes du Rhone, and Sangiovese have earthy, spicy flavors that pair perfectly with this quinoa soup.
More quinoa recipes:
- Cauliflower Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Quinoa
- Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Chicken Gyro Bowls with Quinoa
- Southwest Beef & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Taco Lettuce Wraps with Turkey & Quinoa
- Quinoa Cookies with Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt
More creamy soup recipes:
- Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
- Tomato Orange Soup
- Smoky Chipotle Potato Soup with Cheddar
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Avgolemono Soup (Lemon Chicken Soup with Dill)
Creamy quinoa soup recipe
Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion (diced)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 cups bone broth (chicken broth or vegetable stock (use more for a more brothy soup))
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 1 1/4 cup quinoa (uncooked, rinsed well in a fine mesh colander)
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh spinach (coarsely chopped)
- 1 ½ cups half and half (or heavy cream)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add stock, chickpeas, quinoa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning to the pot and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in spinach and cream. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Divide into bowls and top with grated Parmesan.