This One Pot Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas and Yogurt is a fuss free dish that’s easy to make at home. Spicy, fragrant harissa reduces and coats the chicken and chickpeas as they roast, and a creamy yogurt harissa sauce finishes it all off.
Harissa has my heart lately – From Harissa Hummus to Lemon Chicken Skewers with Harissa Yogurt Sauce, Harissa has been finding its way into lots of my recipes this summer! Its warm spices and rich fragrance have defined a new style of comfort food for me.
Comfort food was traditionally defined by rich, heavy dishes, like Macaroni and Cheese, Short Ribs, or Osso Buco. But today, I’d like to think that the New Comfort Food is just a more healthful, mindful way of eating – Eating to feel good.
This One Pot Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas and Yogurt is my New Comfort Food – With the rich, spiciness of the harissa, the creamy chickpeas and the tangy yogurt – It’s an all around feel good dish that’s easy to make on a weeknight, but fancy enough to serve at a dinner party.
A note about the heat in this dish – Different brands of harissa can have varying degrees of heat. You should taste yours first and modify the amount you use from there. You may need anywhere from 1/8 cup of harissa to ¼ cup. It also depends on how spicy you like your food. I used ¼ cup, and the end result was quite spicy – The way I like it. However, if you’re sensitive to heat, I would definitely dial it down a bit, using half the amount.
How do you define comfort food? Are you more traditional when it comes to those dishes, or have you created a “new” comfort food tradition of your own? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Harissa Chicken Recipe
One Pot Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas and Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 onion cut into 12 wedges
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup harissa paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges for serving
Harissa Yogurt Sauce
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Harissa Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, harissa and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, until browned. (The chicken does not need to be fully cooked through.) Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add tomato paste and allow to brown for a minute or two.
- Add chickpeas, harissa and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken to the skillet and place in oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Top with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges and harissa yogurt on the side.
Wine Pairings for Harissa Chicken:
- Sauvignon Blanc – Fresh and fruity with abundant citrus and herbal notes, it makes a great match for the tanginess and spiciness of the harissa.
- A dry Rosé or Riesling would also make a great match for this dish, their bright acidity and balanced sweetness play nicely off the harissa.
- If you’re looking for a red wine to pair with this dish, consider something with a light body and minimal tannins – A Grenache or Beaujolais Nouveau would work well here.