This One Pot Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas is a fuss free dish that’s easy to make at home. Spicy, fragrant harissa reduces and coats the chicken and chickpeas as they roast, and a creamy yogurt harissa sauce finishes it all off.
Harissa has my heart lately. 💛 💛 💛
This One Skillet Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas and Yogurt is my new comfort food. With the rich, spiciness of the harissa, the creamy chickpeas and the tangy yogurt, it’s an all around feel good dish that’s easy to make on a weeknight, but fancy enough to serve at a dinner party.
I love that this dish finishes off in the oven, giving you a bit of a break before dinner.
It’s the perfect time to whip up the harissa yogurt sauce, pour a glass of wine, and clean up the kitchen before digging in.
- Chicken Thighs – I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Harissa Paste
- Olive Oil
- Onion & Garlic
- Tomato Paste
- Canned Chickpeas
- Chicken Broth
- Greek Yogurt
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make It
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, until browned. Note: The chicken does not need to be fully cooked through.
- Set the chicken aside to a plate.
- Reduce the skillet heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add tomato paste and allow to brown for a minute or two.
- Add chickpeas, harissa and chicken broth.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and scatter lemon slices around.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the harissa yogurt sauce by combining yogurt, harissa and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top the chicken with cilantro and serve with harissa yogurt sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Is Harissa Spicy?
- Different brands of harissa can have varying degrees of heat. You should taste yours first and modify the amount you use from there. You may need anywhere from 1/8 cup of harissa to ¼ cup. It also depends on how spicy you like your food. I used ¼ cup, and the end result was quite spicy – the way I like it. However, if you’re sensitive to heat, I would definitely dial it down a bit, using half the amount.
Harissa Wine Pairing
- Sauvignon Blanc – Fresh and fruity with abundant citrus and herbal notes, it makes a great match for the tanginess and spiciness of the harissa.
- A dry Rosé or Riesling would also make a great match for this dish, their bright acidity and balanced sweetness play nicely off the harissa.
- If you’re looking for a red wine to pair with this dish, consider something with a light body and minimal tannins – A Grenache or Beaujolais Nouveau would work well here.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Pretzel Crusted Chicken with Cheddar-Mustard Sauce
- Miso Chicken
- Mushroom Chicken
- Spinach & Artichoke Orzo with Chicken
- Curry Chicken Skewers with Lime
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Did you try this harissa chicken and chickpeas?
If you loved this harissa chicken with chickpeas, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Harissa Chicken with Chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 1 onion (cut into large wedges)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/8-1/4 cup harissa paste (depending on how spicy you'd like the dish)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 lemon (sliced)
Harissa Yogurt Sauce
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-2 Tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, until browned. (The chicken does not need to be fully cooked through.) Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add tomato paste and allow to brown for a minute or two.
- Add chickpeas, harissa and chicken broth.
- Return chicken to the skillet and scatter lemon slices around. Place in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Top with cilantro and serve with harissa yogurt sauce on the side. If you'd like your chicken more browned on top, pop it under a broiler set on high for a minute or two.
Harissa Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, harissa and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This post was originally published in 2020. It was updated in 2023 to add new information and photographs. The one pot harissa chicken recipe remains the same. Enjoy!