These Quinoa Breakfast Cookies with Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt are perfect for breakfasts on the go. Not only are they delicious, but they’re packed with protein, whole grains and fiber.
What if I told you that you could eat chocolate chip cookies for breakfast and feel totally justified in that decision? This recipe for Quinoa Breakfast Cookies with Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt is here for you! As drool worthy as these cookies look (and they are) they’re also packed with protein and fiber. They’ll keep you feeling full all morning and are the best way to start your day. #WillGetOutOfBedForCookies
How to Make Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Cookies:
- Adding in quinoa flour
- Swapping in coconut oil for the butter or oil
- Sweetening and keeping them moist with applesauce
And here’s how we’re making them extra delicious:
- Dark chocolate chunks
- Flaky sea salt to finish them off
Guaranteed these Quinoa Breakfast Cookies are going to become your new morning obsession!
I love the fact that you can make a big batch of these quinoa cookies on the weekend and then enjoy them throughout the week. You can even stash them in the freezer for up to a month, or just bring a big batch in to work and sweeten up your coworkers. I brought in a bunch of these beauties to work a few weeks ago and I’ve already given out the recipe several times. Until I told them, no one had any idea that these were actually healthy cookies!
To me, these quinoa breakfast cookies taste like a combination between a cookie and muffin. I’d say they’re a bit like a muffin top, without all the crumbliness… and they bake up right on a cookie sheet. Meaning no need for one of those specialty muffin top pans.
Not only do these quinoa breakfast cookies give you an energy boost, but they’re packed with fiber and protein too. All those nutrients come from the healthy grains in these breakfast cookies – quinoa flour, steel cut oats and whole wheat flour. The majority of people don’t get enough fiber in their diets, but it’s vital for digestive and heart health. But by substituting traditional white flour with a bit of quinoa flour and whole wheat flour, it’s an easy way to sneak in nutrition when you bake. I’ve played around with proportions quite a bit and have found that it’s easy to make this swap in any recipe by simply substituting 1/4 to 1/3 of the total flour in a recipe with whole grain or quinoa flour. Most likely, you won’t even notice the difference.
So, have I convinced you to try these Quinoa Breakfast Cookies? If not, let me just let these photos speak for themselves…
Quinoa Breakfast Cookies with Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt
- 1 cup Hodgson Mills quinoa flour
- 1 cup Hodgson Mills white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup Hodgson Mills steel cut oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together coconut oil and brown sugar until smooth. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract and applesauce and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into liquid ingredients and mix until combined. Add the oats and mix to combine. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon dough in 1-tablespoon portions onto prepared sheets, spacing 1” apart.
- Bake cookies until golden, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool for at least 15 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer carefully to a cooling rack.
Be sure to try these Blueberry & White Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Cookies too.
If you loved this recipe for Quinoa Breakfast Cookies with Dark Chocolate, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished cookies and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.