Quinoa Burrito Bowls with quick-guacamole make a quick & healthy vegetarian meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights or meal prep!
These Taco Quinoa Bowls with guacamole are on regular rotation at our house for Meatless Mondays.
Not only are they easy to make in under 30 minutes, but they’re also packed with nutrients and totally customizable.
But, no matter what you top your bowl with, you can feel good that the base is quinoa which is packed with protein, full of fiber and a good source of amino acids. In my case – I totally justify the quinoa as balancing out the massive dollop of guacamole that I pile on.
This quick-guacamole is totally simple to make. I don’t even really measure anything – I just taste a little bit, add some more seasonings, and adjust. The base recipe is: 1 avocado, the juice of half a lime and a sprinkling of garlic powder and cumin, balanced out with some salt and pepper. You could use fresh garlic, but I find that for guacamole, the powdered kind works just as well and doesn’t leave you with as severe a case of dragon’s breath.
Instead of making quinoa on the stove, I find myself making Instant Pot quinoa most often. It comes out perfectly fluffy, and there’s no babysitting it. However, you can also make it the standard way. Just boil it in salted water for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
To make these taco quinoa bowls extra simple (and quick) I’m using canned beans and seasoning them with just a bit of taco seasoning. This means that there’s no need to measure out ingredients and worry about buying a bunch of different spices. It’s an easy way to add in a bunch of flavor with minimal effort and ingredients.
You could also make Instant Pot black beans. They turn out super flavorful and can be made in under an hour with no soaking!
And, that’s all there is to it!
Just pile on your favorite toppings and enjoy these healthy quinoa taco bowls. They’re perfect for Meatless Monday and Taco Tuesday – And I definitely wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to eat them two days in a row…
These quinoa burrito bowls are perfect for meal prep. I like to portion the beans and quinoa into food storage containers. Then, when I’m ready to eat, I just pop one into the microwave and pile on those toppings again.
What are good toppings for burrito bowls?
- Chipotle Salsa
- Cilantro Lime Crema
- Pico de Gallo
- Pineapple Salsa
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Tortilla Chips
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Pickled Onions
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Tortilla Strips
- Grilled Chicken
- Carne Asada
And, of course, some delicious guacamole! I made a quick version that calls for only 4-ingredients and takes under 5 minutes to prepare.
How do you make quick guacamole?
- Scoop out the pulp of one avocado.
- Add the juice of half a lime.
- Sprinkle in some garlic salt and cumin.
- Mash with a fork.
This guacamole is dangerously quick. I find myself making it more often than I’d like to admit… It’s perfect for when you have an avocado that’s on the verge of being too ripe. I like to use it as a dip for veggies in place of blue cheese or ranch since it’s filled with healthy fats and vitamins.
How would you top your quinoa taco bowls? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
Wine pairings for Quinoa Burrito Bowls:
- Look for lighter-bodied, fruit-focused reds like Beaujolais or Grenache.
- Alternatively, a Malbec or Tempranillo will be a bit heavier, but compliment the smoky-spicy flavors in this dish.
If you loved these Quinoa Taco Bowls I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More quinoa bowl recipes:
- Cauliflower Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Quinoa
- Chicken Gyro Bowls with Quinoa
- Sweet Potato & Chickpea Buddha Bowl
More taco recipes:
- Korean (Bulgogi) Beef Tacos
- Taco Quinoa & Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Cuban Mojo Pork
- Cauliflower Tacos with Lime Crema
- Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish
Quinoa Burrito Bowls Recipe
Quinoa Burrito Bowls with Guacamole
- 1 avocado (ripe)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Garlic Salt (to taste)
- Cumin (to taste)
- Roma tomato (diced)
- Cilantro (minced)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Radishes (sliced)
- Rinse quinoa well in fine mesh colander until water runs clear. Bring 2 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add quinoa and let simmer in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and season with taco seasoning. Heat 5-10 minutes, until warmed through.
- Place quinoa in bowl and top with beans. Assemble bowls as you like with desired toppings.
- Mash avocado and lime juice with a fork. Season with a pinch of garlic salt and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Note: This recipe was originally published in July 2018. It was updated in May 2021 to add new photographs. The original quinoa bowl recipe remains the same. Enjoy!