Easy homemade Shrimp Sushi Bowls feature spicy marinated shrimp, wasabi sauce, and all of the fresh toppings you want. Served together over brown rice, these deconstructed sushi bowls are perfect for both lunch and dinner and can be made in under 30-minutes!
I love sushi as much as the next person, but making it at home can be time-consuming! Why not save some time while creating a light and healthy meal that’s bursting with flavor instead?
Just like with my Salmon Sushi Bowls, think of these as your favorite deconstructed sushi rolls. Layered with marinated cooked shrimp, fresh vegetables, and a spicy wasabi sauce over brown rice, they capture everything you love about sushi. The best part is they only take about 15 minutes to assemble!
You may think this shrimp rice bowl looks a lot like a poke bowl. While the two are very similar and have Japaense roots, I find that this shrimp bowl is a little more casual and is a perfect choice for anyone with an aversion to raw fish.
Give these sushi bowls a try for lunch, dinner, or meal prep! After all, you don’t want to miss out on the delicious mix of vibrant, fresh, spicy, and salty flavors.
Sushi bowl ingredients:
- Cooked shrimp – If you’re starting with raw shrimp, check out this guide on how to boil shrimp.
- Shrimp marinade – This is made with reduced fat mayonnaise, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Toppings – I like to use a variety of cold vegetables but you can use anything you like! Keep scrolling to check out the extensive list of sushi bowl toppings.
- Wasabi sauce – This spicy sauce is easy to adjust to your desired heat level. All you need to make it is mayonnaise, rice vinegar, wasabi paste, and sesame oil.
- Brown rice – Or white rice, sushi rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice. For convenience I like making rice in the instant pot or rice cooker.
How to make sushi bowls:
Make the shrimp marinade by whisking the mayonnaise, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil together in a bowl. Add the bite sized shrimp pieces and toss to coat.
Put the wasabi sauce together by whisking the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, wasabi paste, and sesame oil in a bowl.
Season the cooked rice with soy sauce and rice vinegar.
To assemble the shrimp sushi bowls, divide the seasoned rice into bowls. Top with marinated shrimp, cucumber, edamame, avocado, and jalapeno. Drizzle the wasabi sauce on top, sprinkle with furikake or sesame seeds, and enjoy!
Sushi bowl toppings:
Swap the add-ins and toppings for anything you like! These are a few of my favorites:
- Shredded cabbage
- Pickled red onions
- Crispy wontons
- Bell peppers
- Sesame seeds
- Red chili flakes
- MORE —>15+ sauces for sushi
Tips and variations:
- The shrimp must be pre-cooked to ensure it’s safe to eat.
- Swap the shrimp for another protein, like salmon, tuna, tofu, crab, or chicken.
- Instead of rice, layer the shrimp and toppings over white rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
- Put as much or as little wasabi paste in the sauce as you like. A little goes a long way.
Can you make sushi bowls ahead of time?
Feel free to pack these shrimp sushi bowls a few days ahead of time for your weekly meal prep. Assemble the bowls into airtight containers and pack the wasabi dressing on the side. When it’s time to eat, pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds or furikake and enjoy!
Wine Pairings for Sushi Bowls:
If you loved this shrimp bowl recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More shrimp recipes:
More sushi inspired recipes to try:
More grain bowls:
- Fish Taco Bowls
- Tuna Rice Bowl
- Yumm Sauce Bowls
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Buddha Bowls
- Quinoa Burrito Bowls
- More → 35+ Rice Bowl Recipes
Easy Sushi Bowls Recipe
Shrimp Sushi Bowls Recipe
- 2 cups brown rice (cooked)
- 1 pound cooked shrimp (thawed, shelled and deveined)
- 2 Tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- Furikake or sesame seeds (for topping)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Chop the shrimp into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Add wasabi sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine rice with 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp rice vinegar and toss to combine.
- To assemble:
- Divide the seasoned rice between bowls. Top with the seasoned shrimp, cucumber, edamame, avocado and jalapeno. Drizzle the wasabi sauce over top and sprinkle with furikake or sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Watch the sushi bowl web story here.