This tasty Air Fryer Shrimp takes less than 10 minutes to make with a handful of flexible ingredients. Cooking perfectly plump and juicy shrimp has never been easier!
This practically effortless Air Fryer Shrimp recipe transforms fresh jumbo shrimp into a succulent, seasoned protein you can pair with a simple green salad, loaded grain bowls, seafood taco bowls, and so much more. Sit back and relax while the air fryer does most of the work!
Fresh or frozen shrimp are first coated in a light layer of olive oil and simple seasonings. They quickly cook in the air fryer, and within 10 minutes, are ready to eat! It’s the best quick and easy cooking method to turn to when you need a party appetizer, a light protein for salads and tacos, or if you want a snack to dip in cocktail sauce, remoulade sauce, crab cake sauce, bang bang sauce or boom boom sauce.
Or… MORE —> 20+ 🌟 sauces for shrimp 🌟
🛒 Ingredients needed
- Shrimp – You will need one pound of (21/25) peeled and deveined raw jumbo shrimp. If you end up peeling the shrimp yourself, save the shells for a batch of homemade seafood stock. Other sizes of shrimp will work just as well but the cooking times will need to be adjusted.
- Olive oil – Olive oil has a high smoke point, making it perfect for air frying. You can also use avocado oil or melted ghee. All three will coat the shrimp well and help the spices stick.
- Spices – Paprika gives the shrimp a subtly sweet, smoky flavor while adding a pop of color. Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper enhance the savory flavors. That said, these seasonings are very flexible, so get creative!
📋 How to make air fryer shrimp
No need to stress. Cooking shrimp in the air fryer only requires a bit of prep before it’s fried until juicy and crisp:
Prep the shrimp
Peel and devein the shrimp if they aren’t already (this video will show you how!). Next, rinse them under cool running water and dry them well.
Add the spices
Add the shrimp to a large bowl. Pour the olive oil over top, then add the spices. Toss to coat.
Air fry the shrimp
Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Leave a little space in between so they cook evenly. Air fry until the shrimp are pink and opaque (about 5 to 7 minutes). Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
🍴 Serving suggestions
There are endless ways to enjoy shrimp cooked in the air fryer, but these are my favorites:
- Salad topping – Add them on top of your favorite salads, like a Thai shrimp salad, a simple arugula salad, or Caesar salad.
- In tacos – Wrap the shrimp up in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. They’d be the perfect addition to these Mexican Street Corn Tacos and Easy Cauliflower Tacos.
- With dipping sauces: Serve the shrimp as an appetizer with cocktail sauce, bang bang sauce, garlic butter, romesco sauce, lemon butter, remoulade sauce, crab cake sauce, or chipotle crema for dipping.
- MORE —> 20+ 🌟 sauces for shrimp 🌟
- Paired with the right sides – If you’re unsure what sides to serve with air fryer shrimp, check out this round-up of the 37+ Best Sides For Shrimp.
👩🍳 Customize it
Think of this recipe as a blank canvas. You can mix and match air fryer shrimp any way you like with different spices, a crunchy breading, flavorful sauces, and more:
- Spice blends: After coating the shrimp in oil, season them with Cajun or Creole seasoning, blackened seasoning, taco or fajita seasoning, or Italian seasoning.
- Bread the shrimp: Coat the shrimp in a flour, egg, and breadcrumb dredge (it’s a similar method to my Air Fryer Chicken Tenders). Spray both sides of the shrimp with cooking spray, then air fry as instructed.
- Toss in a sauce: Once the shrimp are finished frying, toss them in a batch of bang bang sauce, sweet chili sauce, aji verde, or any other sauce you love. Even just a squeeze of lemon juice is delicious.
ℹ️ Recipe FAQs
Yes. Let the frozen shrimp thaw overnight in the fridge (or under cold running water). Dry them well, then season and cook as normal.
Defrost your frozen shrimp in the air fryer by heating them just until the ice has melted. Once thawed, dry the shrimp well and then toss in the oil and spices. Return the shrimp to the basket and continue cooking until pink and opaque.
You’ll know the shrimp are done when they go from translucent to opaque and turn from gray to bright pink in color.
The exact time it takes to cook shrimp in the air fryer will vary based on the shrimp’s size and your air fryer’s wattage. For jumbo (21/25) shrimp, 5 to 7 minutes at 400ºF is a good place to start.
🍤 Storing and reheating cooked shrimp
Keep leftover air fryer shrimp in a shallow airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. To reheat, return the shrimp to the air fryer basket and reheat at 350ºF for about 5 minutes.
🥂 Wine Pairings
- Chardonnay has hints of butter and citrus that pair amazingly well with shrimp.
- Sauvignon Blanc has bright citrus and herbal notes that pair perfectly with the lemon that’s squeezed over the shrimp.
- Pinot Grigio and Pinot Blanc are a nice match with their crisp minerality and citrus notes.
- For something unexpected, and budget friendly, try a Vinho Verde.
Did you make this shrimp in the air fryer?
If you loved this air fryer shrimp recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest and Facebook.
More recipes with shrimp:
More easy air fryer recipes:
Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe
- 1 pound fresh jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined (21/25 count))
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked or sweet)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley (to garnish (optional))
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Preheat your air fryer to 400-degrees if your air fryer requires preheating.
- In a large bowl, toss shrimp with olive oil and spices.
- Place shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer (work in batches as needed). Air fry for 5-7 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through (they should be opaque and pink).
Check out the web story here.