Add a tangy, sweet and spicy kick to your shrimp, seafood, fries, burgers, and more with Bang Bang Sauce! It’s an easy, creamy chili and mayo dipping sauce made from ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen. Plus, it’s a dead ringer for the Bonefish Grill namesake appetizer Bang Bang Shrimp!
Dip your shrimp in something so much more exciting than cocktail sauce, like 💥Bang Bang Sauce💥!
I’m a huge fan of great dipping sauce recipes, like ranch dressing and barbecue sauce, but bang bang sauce is on an entirely different level. There are a few different ways to make it, but most recipes feature mayonnaise, chili sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha.
This homemade sauce is a copycat version of the sauce used on the Bonefish Grill restaurant’s Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer.
You may want to double the recipe because you’ll be going through this delicious sauce in no time.
ℹ️ What does bang bang sauce taste like?
If you’re a fan of sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors, then you’ll love bang bang sauce. These qualities make it the perfect dipping sauce for fried shrimp! You can easily play with the spice level or amount of sweetness depending on what you’re serving it with.
The mayonnaise base does a great job of cooling down the spice from the sriracha while the sweet chili sauce adds an extra layer of sweetness. Finish it a splash of rice wine vinegar to add a bit of tang and depth, and you have a perfectly delicious bang bang sauce.
🛒 What is it made of?
Besides being a versatile sauce that always makes fried shrimp taste better, this is also the easiest recipe made with simple ingredients. You likely have most, if not all, of these in your kitchen already:
- Mayonnaise – You can also substitute plain greek yogurt.
- Thai Sweet chili sauce – The speckles of red chili flakes make sweet chili sauce look spicy, but it’s nicely balanced between sweet and savory. Try not to skip it!
- Sriracha – Or replace it with another hot sauce or chili garlic sauce that you have on hand.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – You can also use red wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or lime juice, or lemon juice.
- Sesame Seeds – To garnish. These are optional.
- Chives – Or green onions, to garnish. These are optional as well.
📋 How to make bang bang sauce
It’s easy! Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl, stir to combine, and you’re done.
You can use the creamy dipping sauce right away or store it in the fridge for later.
✔️ Ways to use bang bang sauce
- Pair it with all kinds of seafood, like air fried shrimp, crab cakes, fish taco bowls, or shrimp sushi bowls.
- It’s a must-have dipping sauce for french fries, zucchini fries, and green bean fries.
- That’s not all! Dip chicken tenders, chicken nuggets, or chicken wings in the sauce as well.
- Use it in burritos or on a burrito bowl.
- Drizzle a little over a loaded baked potato or a sweet potato buddha bowl.
- Use it as a burger sauce on these air fryer hamburgers.
- Want to make a vegan version? Just replace the mayonnaise with your favorite plant based mayo.
- If you’re not afraid of heat, add an extra tablespoon of spicy sriracha.
- If it’s too spicy, reduce the amount of hot sauce by 1 tablespoon.
🕕 How long does it last?
- The leftover sauce will last for about 1 month when it’s stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
🥣 More homemade dipping sauces
- Boom Boom Sauce
- Seafood Boil Sauce
- White BBQ Sauce
- Remoulade Sauce
- Spicy Aji Amarillo Sauce
- Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- In-N-Out Sauce
- Mojo Sauce
- Buffalo Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Crema
👩🍳 More copycat recipes
- In-N-Out Sauce
- Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe
- Din Tai Fung Cucumber Salad
- Costco Quinoa Salad Recipe
- PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
- PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef
- Starbuck’s Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Starbuck’s Bistro Boxes: 3 Ways
- Starbuck’s Sous Vide Egg Bites
- Boston Market Meatloaf
- Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- Orange Julius Copycat
Did you make this bang bang shrimp sauce?
If you loved this homemade bang bang sauce recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would leave a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Bang Bang Sauce Recipe
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Use as a dipping sauce for shrimp, fries, onion rings, chicken tenders, etc.
Check out the web story here.