These Air Fryer Burgers are quick and low-maintenance compared to traditional grilled burgers. They’re lightly seasoned, easy to cook, and never dry out!
Skip the fast food drive-thru or all of that time spent over a hot grill for these fuss-free Air Fryer Burgers. They come together in no time and are packed with flavor! Let the air fryer do most of the work while you sit back and prepare the sides.
I’ll never turn down a French Dip Burger or Red Wine Burger, but when I’m running low on time, cooking burgers in the air fryer is where it’s at. Hot air continuously circulates around the ground beef patties, ensuring that they cook evenly without drying out.
In the end, you have a hamburger or cheeseburger with restaurant-quality flavors and textures.
What do you need to make air fryer burgers?
- Ground beef – Ground beef with 80% lean meat and 20% fat is best for homemade hamburgers. 70% lean meat and 30% fat also make an excellent burger. Burgers made with ground beef with less fat aren’t nearly as tender.
- Soy sauce – Low sodium soy sauce (or gluten free tamari) adds a salty umami flavor while helping to create a seared crust on the surface.
- Seasonings – Homemade burgers taste best with simple spices. Garlic powder, onion, powder, salt, and pepper enhance the meaty flavors without overpowering the beef.
How to cook burgers in the air fryer
First, season the ground beef. Add it to a large bowl with the soy sauce and the dry spices. Use your hands or a sturdy spoon to mix until just combined.
Next, form the patties. Form the seasoned ground beef into 4 evenly sized patties. Use your thumb to press a dimple into the center of each to prevent them from bulging or shrinking.
Lay the patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook in a 370ºF air fryer for 6 minutes, then flip. Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
To make cheeseburgers, place a slice of American cheese on each patty and air fry until the cheese is hot and slightly melted.
Assemble each patty on a burger bun with mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, or any other toppings you love. Enjoy!
Can you make frozen hamburgers in the air fryer?
Yes, frozen hamburgers can be cooked right from frozen in the air fryer. Save a little time by seasoning and forming the patties as normal, then freeze for 1 to 2 months. Cook them in a 375ºF air fryer from frozen for about 20 minutes (flipping halfway through).
This method works just as well with storebought frozen hamburgers too. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size and thickness of the patties.
Tips and tricks
- Make sure the patties aren’t touching in the air fryer. Place them in an even single layer with space in between. Feel free to work in batches if the basket isn’t big enough for 4 burgers.
- The precise length of time it takes to cook fresh hamburgers in the air fryer will vary based on the size of the burgers and the functionality of your equipment. When cooked at 370ºF, ½-inch thick patties take between 9 and 12 minutes.
- To lower the risk of overcooking the burgers while the cheese melts, place the cheese slices on the burgers in the last 1 to 2 minutes of the cook time.
- For food safety purposes, homemade hamburgers are best cooked until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF. You can use a food thermometer to check for doneness.
Burger topping ideas
- 35+ Sauces for Burgers
- Ketchup and mustard
- In-N-Out Sauce
- Sliced American cheese
- Tomato slices
- Red onion
- Pickled onions
- Pickled cabbage
- Sauteed onions and mushrooms
- Crispy air fryer onions
- Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce
- Boom Boom Sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Remoulade Sauce
- Fried egg
- Jalapeno slices
If you’re craving burgers and fries, both can be cooked in the air fryer together (depending on the size of the basket). Be sure to arrange everything in a single layer without overlapping the fries and burgers, and flip the fries a few times as they cook.
For all of the possible sides to serve with air fryer burgers, check out the 35 BEST Sides for Burgers.
Wine pairings for air fryer cheeseburgers
- Is pairing wine and burgers unconventional? Not at all! They’re delicious with full-bodied, high-tannin reds, like Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, and Merlot.
More Air Fryer Recipes
More → 35+ Ground Beef Recipes
Did you make homemade hamburgers in your air fryer?
If you loved these air fryer hamburgers, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished burger, and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Season the ground beef with soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl and combine.
- Divide into 4 portions and form ½ inch thick patties. Use your thumb to create a dimple in the center of each burger. This helps avoid “burger bulge”.
- If your air fryer requires preheating, preheat the air fryer to 370-degrees. Add patties in a single layer to the basket (work in batches if necessary).
- Cook 6 minutes. Flip burgers over and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until the center of each burger registers 160-degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Add cheese if using and cook 1 minute more. Serve on buns, with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes and onion, as desired.
Check out the web story here.