This super quick Dumpling Dipping Sauce is easy to make with 4 simple ingredients. It’s savory, tangy, and a little spicy. The perfect sauce for gyoza, potstickers, spring rolls, and more!
Anyone else keep a bag of frozen potstickers in their freezer at all times? ✋✋✋ Like, for emergencies…
I love that I can pop a handful of them into the microwave (or the air fryer) for a quick + easy lunch or snack. And while they only take like 3 minutes in the microwave, that gives me just enough time to whip up a small bowl of my favorite dumpling dipping sauce!
I mean… a plateful of Japanese gyoza is only complete when it’s served with some sauce. This version is tangy, savory, and a touch spicy. It’s the best dipping sauce you can keep in your fridge at all times.
The best part is it takes 1 minute to stir together using 4 ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
I usually serve mine up with gyoza or, when I’m in a rush, these air fryer potstickers.
Gyoza is a type of pan-fried Japanese dumpling. They take after traditional Chinese dumplings (called Jiaozi), which stuff meat and vegetables into a thin dough. While Jiaozi can be boiled, fried, or steamed, gyoza is almost always pan-fried and steamed.
These crispy potstickers have gorgeous golden brown bottoms and soft, doughy tops that are begging to be dipped in a sensational sauce.
This dumpling sauce recipe has a little bit of everything to complement every bite: tang, salt, spice, and umami. Serve it alongside your favorite store bought or homemade dumplings or even spring rolls, cucumber salad, and tempura.
Dumpling sauce ingredients
This dipping sauce is made with only 4 ingredients:
- Soy sauce – This salty condiment is the base of the dipping sauce. If you’d like to lower the amount of sodium in the sauce, make sure to use a low sodium soy sauce.
- Rice vinegar – While this is the best option, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar can be used instead.
- Sesame oil – This adds a savory balance to the sauce.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – Just a pinch of these spicy flakes add complexity and heat.
How to make dumpling sauce
Mix all of the dumpling dipping sauce ingredients together in a bowl and serve! It’s that easy.
Customize the flavor
You can customize the flavor of your gyoza sauce with all kinds of additions. Bring on the spice, make it a touch sweeter, or enhance the savory elements. Use any of these add-ins:
- Chili oil
- Sliced green onions or fresh chives
- Grated or minced garlic cloves
- Grated ginger – I love to buy the tubes of ginger that are stocked near the fresh herbs in the produce section
- Hot sauce or gojuchang
- Sugar – white, brown, cane, or coconut sugar will all work
- Dried chili peppers
- Sesame seeds
- Citrus zest – lime, lemon or even orange
How long does it last?
Store the sauce in an airtight container or jar in the fridge and it will stay fresh for up to 1 week.
- Gluten free – To make gluten free dumpling sauce, replace the soy sauce with tamari, coconut aminos, or gluten free soy sauce.
- Make it sweeter – By replacing the regular soy sauce and sugar with kecap manis.
- Spicy dipping sauce – Add 1 teaspoon of sriracha, gojuchang, or your favorite hot sauce.
- Lower the sodium – If you don’t have low sodium soy sauce, you can slightly dilute the strong salty flavors with 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.
- Too tangy? Add ½ teaspoon of sugar to tone it down.
This is a dipping sauce recipe at heart but it can also be used as a quick dressing for salads and noodle dishes:
- Air Fryer Potstickers
- Lamb Dumplings
- Vegetable Stir Fry
- Spring Rolls
- Vegetarian Sushi
- Vietnamese Noodle Salad
- Egg rolls
- More → the BEST sides for Dumplings
More dipping sauces
- Potsticker Sauce
- Gyoza Sauce
- Mojo Sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Easy Marinara Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Boom Boom Sauce
- Chick Fil A Sauce
Did you try this dumpling sauce recipe?
If you loved this dipping sauce for dumplings I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Dumpling Sauce Recipe
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl and enjoy.
Check out the web story here.