This Thai noodle salad is one of my favorites for the warm summer months. Inspired by Bun Bo Xao, it’s a rice noodle salad that’s tossed with lots of fresh herbs and veggies and dressed with a tangy, rice wine vinegar dressing. It’s served cold and is simply delicious!
What’s in Vietnamese Noodle Salad Dressing?
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Fish Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Brown Sugar
How Do You Make Vietnamese Noodle Salad?
- Cook the noodles (according to package directions).
- Make the dressing – by whisking all ingredients together.
- Toss cooked and cooled noodles with dressing.
- Combine with fresh herbs & veggies.
Is Bun Bo Xao Vegetarian?
- This salad is vegetarian as written. However, it would also be delicious topped with these curry lime chicken skewers, grilled pork, or shrimp skewers.
Wine Pairings for Vietnamese Noodle Salad:
- A medium-bodied, wine with some good citrus to it makes a great match – try a Sauvignon Blanc or Vinho Verde.
- Rosé is another great option.
If you loved this vermicelli noodles recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Asian Salad Recipes:
Vietnamese Noodle Salad Recipe (Bun Bo Xao)
Vietnamese Noodle Salad (Bun Bo Xao)
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic (grated or minced)
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 2 carrots (julienned)
- 1 red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup cilantro (minced)
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- Lime wedges for serving (optional)
- Cook the noodles according to package directions; rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the noodles with the dressing and vegetables. Top with fresh herbs and chopped peanuts. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!