This Thai Cucumber Salad is crunchy, sweet & tangy. It’s a refreshing salad that can be made ahead of time and is perfect for the warm summer months.
What is Thai Cucumber Salad?
This fresh and delicious cucumber salad is crunchy, tangy, salty and sweet. The dressing combines lime juice, garlic, fish sauce and sugar for the perfect blend of umami flavor. And, the salad ingredients couldn’t be simpler – cucumber, red onion, jalapenos and cilantro.
If you’re eating it for lunch, you can add in some extra protein by sprinkling on some roasted salty peanuts. Or, you can serve this salad for dinner as a side dish with these Sesame Chicken Noodles or these Grilled Lamb Chops with Spicy Peanut Sauce.
How to Make Thai Cucumber Salad:
- Slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers.
- Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients.
- Toss together and serve.
Can I Make Cucumber Salad Ahead of Time?
- You can make cucumber salad ahead of time. Simply store it tightly covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How Long Does Cucumber Salad Last?
- This salad will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. However, the longer the cucumbers marinate in the dressing, the more they’ll lose their crispness. If you would like the salad to remain crisp, plan to serve it the day you make it. Alternatively, you can mix up the dressing separately (up to 3 days beforehand) and toss it with the cucumbers right before you plan to serve.
Thai Cucumber Salad Tips:
- Use English cucumbers (also called seedless or hothouse cucumbers). They aren’t treated with a wax coating like regular cucumbers and they have less seeds.
- Seed the cucumbers by slicing them in half and scooping out the seeds with a spoon. If you skip this step, the salad will become watery.
- For optimum flavor, let the salad sit in the fridge for at least 20-minutes before serving so that the dressing can soak in a bit.
- You can dress up your salad by adding in other vegetables like red peppers, carrots or radish. Also, you can sprinkle on chopped peanuts, almonds, or toasted rice powder at the end for extra crunch.
What to Serve with Cucumber Salad:
- Sesame Chicken Noodles
- Tan Tan Noodles
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped or grated)
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or canola oil
- 2 English cucumbers (halved lengthwise seeded and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- Kosher salt ( to taste)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (chopped (optional))
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice with the fish sauce, sugar, chiles, garlic and oil.
In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers, cilantro, peanuts and onion. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you loved this Cucumber Salad I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.