These 20-Minute Sesame Chicken Noodle Bowls with Thai-style creamy peanut sauce and crunchy red cabbage make a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Quick and easy is the only way I’m getting any cooking done on weeknights. Between work, blogging, trying to squeeze in a workout, and making sure I catch that episode of Real Housewives, I’m really strapped for time in the evenings… 😉 So I’m always on the hunt for dinners that take 30 minutes or less. Here’s a dinner plan that takes just 20 minutes – Sesame Chicken Noodle Bowls.
Things couldn’t be easier with this dish. While your pasta boils away, your chicken poaches right next to it in its own pot of boiling water. This whole process is totally hands off, leaving you free to prepare the amazing sesame-peanut sauce in the meantime. And let’s talk about that peanut sauce… It’s tangy, creamy and can be made with ingredients you likely may already have in your cupboard – A bit of red wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, peanut butter, and just a bit of hot chili oil for some heat – I kept things on the mild side here. However, if you like things extra spicy (like me) feel free to customize your bowl by drizzling a bit of extra chili oil over the top at the end.
To add some crunch and color to these bowls, I tossed in some red cabbage at the end. A sprinkling of scallions over the top finishes things off and makes these bowls not only ready for their glamour shots… but slurping too… I’m in no way graceful when I’m eating these noodle bowls, or any kind of pasta really… All manners are out the door when noodles are involved. And if it’s ramen – I definitely need a bib. You know how they give you lobster bibs? There should totally be ramen bibs too… Is it just me? Tell me I’m not alone here…
Do you have a favorite quick and easy weeknight dinner? Give me the scoop in the comments below.
20-Minute Sesame Chicken Noodle Bowls
- 1 ½ lbs . chicken breast
- 12 oz . linguini
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil divided
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp hot chili oil plus additional for serving
- 4 tsp honey
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring two large pots of salted water to a boil (one for the pasta, one for the chicken). Once boiling, add chicken, cover pot, and remove from heat. Set aside for 15 minutes to poach the chicken.
- Add linguini to the other pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, 9-11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic, peanut butter, vinegar, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, soy sauce, chili oil, honey, vegetable oil and ¼ cup water in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken.
- Drain linguini and return to the pot, toss with the remaining 1 tbsp. sesame oil. Add shredded chicken, red cabbage and sauce mixture and toss to combine. Serve garnished with green onions and additional hot chili oil, if desired.
Wine Pairings for 20-Minute Sesame Chicken Noodle Bowls:
- Riesling, Gewürztraminer: Look for a white wine with just a hint of sweetness to it – It’s a great way to tame down the heat in this dish.
- Rosé is another great match – It’s acidity, and light body will pair nicely with the peanut sauce. (Here are some great rosé wines under $10)
Looking for more quick and easy dinner ideas? Try these: