This easy Tomato Cucumber Salad recipe features fresh cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, and crisp red onion. Dressed in a tangy homemade red wine vinaigrette, every bite is bursting with refreshing Mediterranean flavors!
This Tomato Cucumber Salad is a delicious way to showcase gorgeous seasonal veggies, especially when backyard gardens and farmer’s markets are overflowing! It features a healthy mixture of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, fresh parsley, and a zesty red wine vinaigrette to fill each bite with vibrant Mediterranean flavors.
This easy cucumber salad is a perfect and refreshing summer side dish. Thankfully, tomatoes and cucumbers are available year-round, so this flavorful salad can be made for any occasion. Not to mention, it’s naturally dairy and gluten free so that everyone can enjoy!
What you’ll need
English cucumbers typically have fewer seeds and less water than slicing cucumbers. If you’re using a slicing cucumber, be sure to scoop out the seeds with a spoon and blot away as much moisture as possible with a paper towel so the dressing sticks.
Cherry tomatoes are my go-to for salads. They are perfectly bite-sized, firm, and juicy. Grape, plum, and San Marzano tomatoes are also delicious. To finish it off, mix in fresh parsley and red onion (or for a more mild onion flavor, you can use thinly sliced shallot) to the salad.
For the vinaigrette dressing, you’ll need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Garlic cloves
- Dried oregano
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Note: You can also swap in Italian dressing if you’ve got some on hand.
How to make a cucumber and tomato salad
First, halve the cucumber lengthwise and scoop the seeds out with a spoon. Slice each half into ¼ inch thick half-moons. Chop the tomatoes in half, thinly slice the red onion, chop the parsley, and mince or grate the garlic cloves.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Add the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, and parsley to a large bowl and pour the dressing over the top. Give everything a quick toss and then set the salad aside to allow the flavors to mingle. Serve with dinner and enjoy!
Make ahead and storing
This summer salad will taste its best if it’s assembled at least 30 minutes ahead of serving. This gives the dressing time to “marinate” the veggies but isn’t long enough to make them soggy. If you’d like to save more time, chop the veggies and mix the dressing a day in advance, store them in the fridge, and then toss them all together 30 minutes before serving.
Keep any leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Just keep in mind that the veggies will soften as they sit in the dressing, possibly making the leftovers soggy.
This simple cucumber tomato salad recipe leaves plenty of room to toss in additional ingredients and switch up the flavors:
- Cheese: This cool and crisp salad tastes excellent with creamy cubed feta or mozzarella balls tossed in before serving.
- Herbs: Feel free to swap the fresh parsley for dill, basil, or a little bit of each.
- Greens: Add spinach, arugula, or romaine lettuce to give the salad a little more substance.
- Spice: Want to give your salad a little heat? Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the vinaigrette.
- Dressing: Use the red wine vinaigrette recipe as a guide and experiment with other flavors you like. Try using white wine vinegar instead of red and add in freshly chopped herbs or lemon juice/zest. Or, try swapping in this homemade Italian dressing. The options are endless!
What to serve with tomato and cucumber salad:
This versatile salad goes with just about anything! Make it a meal and serve this salad alongside one of these tasty entrees:
- French Bread Pepperoni Pizza
- Grilled Lamb Kebabs
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Lemon Chicken Skewers
- Easy Cauliflower Tacos
Wine pairings for tomato cucumber salad:
- The acidity of fresh tomatoes pairs well with high-acidic white wines like Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc.
- A quality Rosé also pairs well with this tangy salad.
If you loved this fresh cucumber and tomato salad recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More easy salad recipes:
More Mediterranean recipes:
- Mediterranean Nachos with Hummus
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Grilled Eggplant Dip (Baba Ganoush)
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced in half-rounds)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (finely grated or minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Halve the cucumber and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice the cucumber into ¼ inch thick half moons.
- Place the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and parsley in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
Check out the web story!