Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili is delicious & nutritious. It cooks up quickly and easily with the help of your pressure cooker and tastes like it’s been simmering all day.
There’s something I find so warm and comforting about a bowl of chili. When it’s chilly outside, I find myself craving it on the regular. I’ve made many variations of chili – Instant Pot Chili Mac, White Chicken Chili and Buffalo Chicken Chili. But it’s this chili, that I make the most often, and I’ve been making it since college. I now make that version in the Instant Pot as well.
But today in the spirit of trying to eat healthier in the New Year, I’m making a delicious and nutritious Vegetarian Chili in the Instant Pot.
How to Thicken Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili:
- Option 1: Mix 1 Tablespoon water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch. Ensure that mixture is smooth, then stir it into the hot chili. Allow to thicken for 5 minutes before serving.
- Option 2: Before mixing in the corn, add 1 cup of the chili mixture to a blender, or food processor (or use a potato masher). Process the mixture until smooth and then add it back to the pot. Stir to combine.
Toppings for Vegetarian Chili:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Strips
- Red Onions
- Jalapeno Slices
I love serving this Vegetarian Chili at parties since everyone can customize their own bowl. I like mine topped with sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro and shredded cheese. And, I like it extra spicy, which is why I’m obsessed with Cabot’s Fiery Jack Shredded Cheese, a blend of their Hot Habanero Cheddar mixed with just the right amount of mild Monterey Jack. Not only is it spicy, but it’s got great flavor too.
Rick on the other hand is not so into the heat but he loves sharp cheddar, so he’ll normally top his with sour cream and a bit of Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Celebrating over 100 years as a co-operative, Cabot is owned by farm families throughout New England & New York and 100% of profits go back to the farmers. They’re also a certified B Corporation, which is pretty awesome in my book.
How Do I Make Vegetarian Chili in the Slow Cooker?
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also make this Vegetarian Chili in a slow cooker. Just place all the ingredients in crockpot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili?
- Yes! If you have leftovers, this chili freezes perfectly. I like to portion it into freezer bags in individual serving sizes and place them on a cookie sheet to freeze. Once frozen, I stack them in the freezer making for an easy individual lunch!
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- The BEST Buffalo Chicken Chili
- The BEST Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese + VIDEO
- Spicy Beef & Beer Chili
- Butternut Squash Curry + VIDEO
- Instant Pot Dal with Split Peas + VIDEO
- Cauliflower Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Quinoa
- Kung Pao Noodles
- Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
Wine Pairings for Chili:
- Zinfandel makes a perfect match with chili with its dark fruit aromas, hints of smokiness and just the right amount of tannins.
If you loved this Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 14.5 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Toppings: cheddar cheese (sour cream, avocado, cilantro, scallions, red onions, tortilla strips, jalapeno slices)
Instant Pot Directions
- Turn instant pot to SAUTE and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and red pepper and cook 2-3 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Hit CANCEL and add tomatoes, beans, chiles, broth and spices. Stir to combine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Place the lid on and set to vent to seal.
- Hit MANUAL to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build then the countdown timer will begin.
- Hit CANCEL. Turn the knob to vent and quick release the pressure before removing the lid.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro and lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place all ingredients in crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with desired toppings.