Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips are made using store-bought corn tortillas. Just cut them into wedges, season them with Mexican spices, spray with oil & bake for a perfectly crispy, dippable chip!
I’m always on the hunt for ways to enjoy MORE food while staying somewhat guilt free (see here and here). I’ve seen suggestions of using sliced jicama or carrots as dippers for your salsa or guacamole, but I can’t quite trick myself into actually thinking of that as a treat. Instead, I enjoy these baked tortilla chips.
They’re SO easy to make at home and so much better for you than deep-fried chips. For around 120 calories, you can enjoy 16 of them. *Bonus*… they taste good, like REALLY good!
We start off using just store bought corn tortillas. Cut them into wedges or strips and lightly spray with olive oil. Then, they’re spiced up with a combination of smoky chili powder, cumin and lime zest. They bake up nice and sturdy, perfect for hearty dips. Also, if you happen to be on a low sodium diet, you can definitely control the amount of salt added.
I’d strongly suggest using a Silpat or parchment paper to line your baking sheet. It makes for super easy clean up. Also, if you’ve got a convection oven, turn that on as well. The circulation of air is another great way to boost the crispiness of your chips. Of course, if you don’t have a Silpat or convection, you’ll still get great chips, just be sure to rotate your pan halfway through cooking, and perhaps even flip the chips over halfway through the cooking process as well.
How To Make Baked Tortilla Chips from Scratch
- Cut tortillas into wedges or strips
- Spray with oil
- Season with salt or spice mixture
- Bake at 350-degrees for 8 minutes
- Bake for additional 8 minutes
What Temperature to Bake Tortilla Chips
- Bake tortilla chips in a 350-degree oven for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
How To Store Baked Tortilla Chips
- Store your homemade tortilla chips in an airtight container after they have cooled completely.
How Long Do Baked Tortilla Chips Last?
- Homemade tortilla chips will last for up to a week. You can also reheat tortilla chips in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Dips for Homemade Tortilla Chips
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
Baked Tortilla Chips
- 1 12-ounce package corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each tortilla into wedges or strips and arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet coated with olive oil spray. (I like to first line my cookie sheet with a Silpat to get the chips extra crisp)
- Combine the cumin, chili powder, lime zest and salt in a small bowl.
- Spray the top of each chip with a light coating of olive oil spray. (This will help brown the chips and allow your spices to stick)
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on top of the chips.
- Bake for about 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 7-8 minutes or until the chips are crisp, and lightly browned.
If you loved these Baked Tortilla Chips I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.