This 5-minute homemade Chipotle Salsa recipe comes together easily with the help of your blender. This spicy, smoky salsa is extra delicious!
- What do you do when the neighbors invite you over for a BBQ and you’ve got about 30 minutes to throw together a quick side dish?
- Run to the store, grab a few simple ingredients, throw them into the blender, and in 5 minutes flat you’ve got the most amazing chipotle salsa.
This isn’t your basic salsa recipe. With fire roasted tomatoes and chipotle peppers, it’s got a smoky kick. Which makes it a perfect compliment to any grilled dish.
Sometimes I like to top this salsa off with some cubed up avocado. It’s a bit like a guacamole-salsa hybrid. Only brighter and fresher.
You could also add some corn to this salsa and it would be amazing! I would take some frozen corn, give it a quick saute in a hot skillet until it’s just charred, and then stir it in. Yum!
What is chipotle salsa made of?
- Canned Tomatoes – I use fire-roasted tomatoes to give this salsa a smoky flavor. However, you can use any canned tomatoes. Or, you can use fresh tomatoes.
- Canned Chipotle Peppers – Chipotle chiles are smoked jalapenos. They are sold in the Mexican foods aisle of all major grocery stores and are packed in adobo sauce.
- Sweet Onion – I like to use Vidalia onion or Walla Walla onion. But you can use any yellow onion. White and red onion will give the salsa a bit more bite.
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresh Lime Juice – You can also swap in a splash of white vinegar.
How to make it
- Just add all the ingredients to your blender or food processor and process until it reaches your desired texture. This blender salsa will be ready to eat in less than 5 minutes!
- This adobo salsa recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- Pop any leftover chipotles (and their sauce) into a ziploc bag and store it in the freezer. Next time you need one, just thaw the bag under warm running water for a minute, and you’re good to go!
- If you’re feeling extra ambitious, may I suggest trying your hand at making these Baked Tortilla Chips or Air Fryer Tortilla Chips? Honestly, it’s almost as easy as making the chipotle salsa. All you need to do is cut some store-bought tortillas into wedges, spray them with oil, and sprinkle them with a little seasoning. Pop them into the oven while you’re making the homemade chipotle salsa and you’ll impress everyone even more.
Recipes to enjoy with chipotle salsa
- Quinoa and Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Quinoa Burrito Bowls
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Meatballs
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
- Cauliflower Tacos
More Mexican dip recipes
- Cheesy Enchilada Dip
- Jalapeno Sesame Salsa
- Artichoke Queso Blanco
- Corn Queso Dip
- Pineapple Salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Cilantro Lime Crema
- Mango Salsa
Did you try this chipotle adobo salsa recipe?
If you loved this salsa with chipotle in adobo I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest and Facebook.
Chipotle Salsa Recipe
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (with juice)
- ½ sweet onion (rough chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 2 chipotles in adobo ((plus 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce from can))
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Salt (to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Pour into a bowl. Serve immediately.
Check out the web story here.
This recipe was originally published in 2015. It was updated in 2019 to add new photographs, and again in 2023 to update the blog content. The original chipotle in adobo salsa recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
18 thoughts on “Chipotle Salsa: Quick + Easy 5-Ingredient Recipe”
Homemade salsa is just the best! Looks amazing with your homemade tortilla chips too. Great start to any party!
This is a gorgeous salsa! I love chipotle in ANYTHING. My mom does a chipotle salsa that contains an entire can of chipotle in adobo. It’s INTENSE! This one is much more my alley.
Whoa! I don’t know if I could handle an entire can, but I’d give it a try!
I love sticking a few chipotles in adobo in salsa and also sauces! They add so much flavor and just the right amount of heat! Great 5-minute save when you need a last-minute delicious dish to bring over!
They add so much flavor, don’t they?
This recipe is great anytime here in Arizona – it is a staple at all gatherings!! So easy and delicious,
Thanks Jennie – So glad you enjoyed!
looks like the perfect (because it’s easy) Cinco de Mayo dip!
Thank you Janet!
What a refreshing recipe for salsa. Made a great addition to our Taco Night. Thank you for sharing.
You are so welcome Carrie!
Love your récites, thank you
Love your recipes, thank you