Sweet Potato Tacos topped with a zesty chipotle crema, are the best plant based way to enjoy taco night!
Looking for something healthy for Taco Tuesday? These Sweet Potato Tacos are where it’s at!
Potatoes and red peppers are seasoned with taco seasoning and roasted to perfection. While they cook away, it’s the perfect time to prepare that delicious chipotle crema, heat your tortillas and fix up your other toppings, like avocado, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
It’s also the perfect time to pour yourself a glass of wine!
Wine pairings for sweet potato tacos:
I selected a couple bottles of Erath wine to pair with these tacos. Their Pinot Noir and Rosé.
Hearty and fruit-forward, the Pinot Noir was a perfect companion to these veggie tacos. It had just the right amount of body to it to stand up to the taco spices, but wasn’t too heavy so as to overpower them.
In contrast, the Rosé was a bright a welcoming contrast to the tacos. Its citrus notes paired really well with the hint of lime in the chipotle crema, and with just a hint of tannin, it’s a bold enough rose so that it makes a great pairing for tacos.
What are the basics needed for this sweet potato tacos recipe?
What is needed for the chipotle crema?
- Sour Cream
- Chipotle Peppers & Adobo Sauce
Toppings for sweet potato tacos:
- Red Cabbage
- Lime wedges
What to serve with sweet potato tacos:
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Oven Roasted Carrots (Elote Style)
- Southwest Salad
- MORE —> Taco Sides
If you loved this sweet potato taco recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More taco recipes:
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Banh Mi Tacos
- Cauliflower Tacos with Lime Crema
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Korean Tacos with Bulgogi Beef
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 7+ Tasty Taco Sauce Recipes
Sweet Potato Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½” cubes, about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 red pepper (seeds removed and cut into ½” pieces)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¾ cup sour cream (regular or fat-free)
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise (regular or fat-free)
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (use less for less heat)
- 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce (from chipotle can)
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Tortillas (warmed)
- Red cabbage
- Cotija cheese
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Arrange potatoes and peppers on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Toss to combine and arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and toss. Continue to bake, 15–20 minutes longer, until browned and crisp. (This is a good time to add your tortillas to the oven, bake wrapped in foil for 15 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle crema.
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread each tortilla with chipotle crema, top with sweet potatoes and red peppers and garnish with avocado, red cabbage, cotija and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.