This Southwest Chicken Salad is topped with a chipotle seasoned chicken breast, black beans, avocado, fresh pico de gallo & a zesty lime vinaigrette.
It’s definitely been comfort food season around here! Dishes like these have been finding their way onto the blog lately:
- One Pot Lasagna Soup
- Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage & Sage
But… I thought it was time to switch things up a bit and add something with a bit more color, fresh flavors and crunch. Otherwise, I may just come out of this winter hibernation with no vitamins remaining in my system and not a single pair of jeans in the closet that fit.
This Southwest Chicken Salad with fresh pico de gallo is just that dish to break out of that fall/winter eating rut. Lots of bright, fresh vegetable flavors, using produce that is widely available year round – cherry tomatoes, romaine, avocado, and cilantro. Don’t those flavors just make you think of a bright, cheery, sunny day? We can pretend…
The chicken breasts are rubbed in a chipotle chili powder, for a slightly spicy, smoky flavor, canned black beans are thrown into the mix, and a fresh lime vinaigrette finishes the whole thing off. I may just survive the winter slump with this dish in my arsenal.
What’s in a Southwest Chicken Salad?
- Romaine Lettuce
- Chipotle Seasoned Chicken Breast
- Black Beans
- Pico de Gallo
What Dressing Goes with Southwest Salad?
I made a zesty lime vinaigrette to top this Southwest Chicken Salad. It’s a simple combination of lime juice, olive oil and cilantro with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 30-Minute Thai Beef Salad
- Summer Chicken Cobb Salad
- Kale Caesar Salad with Chicken
- Mediterranean Chickpea & Tuna Salad
Wine Pairings for Southwest Chicken Salad:
- Rosé. It’s bold enough to stand up to the spices in the chicken, but it’s acidity will pair well with the vinaigrette.
- Other great options for pairing would be Pinot Gris or dry Riesling.
If you loved this Southwest Chicken Salad I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagramusing the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Southwest Chicken Salad
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 Lime (zested and juiced )
- 1 Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 15.5 ounce can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 cup Grape Tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper (ribs and seeds removed, minced)
- 1 Romaine Heart
- 1 Avocado (peeled and pitted)
- In a small bowl, combine ½ tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, lime zest, and a large pinch of salt. Rub the mixture onto the chicken breasts, coating well on all sides.
- In a large pan, over medium heat, warm 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add ¾ the red onion, and cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes. Add black beans, cumin, oregano, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Add an additional ½ tablespoon olive oil to the now clean skillet. Heat over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil and half the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Pico de Gallo:
- Toss together the tomatoes, jalapeno, remaining red onion and remaining cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Chop the romaine heart, thinly slice the avocado, and thinly slice the chicken breasts.
- Assemble the salad by plating the romaine, topping with the sliced chicken, black bean mixture, avocado slices, and pico de gallo. Drizzle with vinaigrette.